Sunday, March 16, 2008

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2008, No.16 - Guest Blogmiester Frank Collins

Beta Pi:

IS "BETA PI BLOG" JUNK E-MAIL?: Yes, and no! It is not this e-mail. This e-mail contains some written content of the "Beta Pi Blog", not the entire content. The "blog" is actually a web-site, it includes pictures, links, Archives of previous issues, and other time-wasters. To get there, simply "Click on" the web address: http://journals.aol.com/lasimons4law/beta-pi-blog/ .

The impact of the Perout Pictorial Bonanza has sent waves of inspiration spanning the globe! Evidence, a fine tale from days-o-yore, with chuckles-o-plenty, penned by none-other-than the Immortal Marty . . .

GUEST BLOGMIESTER FRANK COLLINS!

"THE SHOES OF CHAMPIONS, A PEROUT TALE"

My personal Perout story centers on the Intra Fraternity track meet in 1974, I believe. Some knucklehead decided I was the right Tick-a-lor to run The Mile - or maybe I was the only knucklehead to accept the invitation to run the mile. I don' recall.

All I owned at the time were old Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers suitable for the basketball courts of Memorial Gymnasium, but not for this track meet wherever that was.

Jeff Perout volunteered me his track shoes. To me, they felt like socks with metal spikes under the toes. Jeff assured me that these were "the shoes of champions," and so I lined up for the race.

The gun sounded! Off I went leaving my opponents in the proverbial dust. I thought to myself, hey, piece of cake. I am gonna kick some butt here. And off I went, leading the way and wondering why I had never run track before - until, say, um, about lap two.

Suddenly the "wall" that any marathoner (which I am not) will tell you they hit at mile 18, commenced to smack me down at, um, oh, mile ½. My legs got heavier and heavier. My wind began to give out. And my opponents gained on me rapidly.

I could play basketball for 4 hours with Arms Aylward, why, I asked my God at that moment, couldn't I move my legs;

and why, I asked my God at that moment, were my lungs on fire;

and why, I asked my God at that moment (specifically rounding the back turn of lap 4), is it that Buck Biller can run backwards in his Hush Puppies faster than I can at this moment in time???

Buck had chugged across the infield and, yes indeed, was cheering me on, screaming is more like it, saying something along the lines of "Get the lead out, Marty!" And yes it is true that he was running backwards at that point in the race and running faster backwards than I was forward in Perout’s track shoes. Much faster with no sign of labor in his breathing.

And why, I asked my God at that moment, didn’t Buck just run this damn race himself backwards in his Hush Puppies???

I got to the finish line about a half-an-hour after my previously vanquished opponents, collapsed at the finished line, at which moment my legs were seized by multiple cramps.

I believe Buck and Jeff offered me beer, took the shoes and left me writhing in pain, loser that I was...

THANKS TO IMMORTAL MARTY FOR AN AWESOME TALE: Marty!~ Marty!~ Marty!~

BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS: The Blog roster now stands at 87 Beta Pi brothers, 77 of whom have e-mail addresses. If you have an e-mail address on a Brother - share it with us!

VTL,

Larry Simons

Beta Pi, 72

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FROM MARK McGANN, March 17, 2008:
"Hey Larry,

Maybe you should add this caveat to The Blog, it might help traffic.  "You must be of legal drinking age to access this site."

TO MARK:  That bad, huh?  You need a drink before you read the blog?  That is a new one.

Anonymous said...

NEWS FLASH - THE LOVE-MAN FINDS IMMORTAL GLOTZ-BACH-IO, March 17, 2008:
"Larry

 Ray Glotzbach gave it up   Rglotzbach@aol.com  

He was in the Class of 73  He is an MD in Memphis now  I have had no contact with him until today. He was glad to hear from everyone"

TO TOM:  Great work.  We will include a formal blog welcome to Glotz-bach-io in next blog.

Anonymous said...

MESSAGE FROM RAY GLOTZBACH, March 17, 2008:
"Larry,

Just heard from Tom Lovinggood and actually saw my pix drifting through on Blog no. 14.
Good job with the blog!

Has been a long time since I have talked to the brothers. Hope all is well.

Ray.

P.S. Been "Shipwrecked" ever since 1969."

TO RAY:  Great to hear from you!  I travel through Memphis often, my son lives there, and we go to Clarksdale alot.  I'll call you, and maybe we can have a coffee or lunch.  I'll include this in a "Welcome" feature, in the next blog - so the other Immortals-o-73, and Tick-a-lo's will be on notice.  ILAMATOB,
Larry