Friday, December 1, 2006

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.68 - GOD BLESS DAVID HOWE

Beta Pi:

GOD BLESS DAVID HOWE: I knew the day would come when this blog would bear sad tidings - that day has come.

I have very sad news, David Howe died yesterday. I received word this morning from David’s wife, Dara Howe. Dara sent me the obituary, which is printed here.



Obituary

David Vernon Howe, P.E.

Franklin, TN

Age 53. November 30, 2006, unexpectedly at the home of his mother-in-law in Nashville.

Survived by wife, Dara, son Alex of Nashville, stepson Aron Vaughn of Franklin and the world, sister Merry Howe (Little Rock, AR), brother Bob Howe (Key West, FL), mother-in-law Ollierae Greenwood (Nashville), brother-in-law Randy and Linda Greenwood (Littleton, CO) and other extended family. Preceded in death by parents Eugene and Martha Ann Hare Howe. Howe was a civil engineer and partner in Merville and Howe Engineering Inc., in Nashville. He was born and spent his formative years in Newport, Arkansas. He excelled in academics, graduating 2nd in his class at Newport High School (class of 1971), and as a musician earned All State honors playing the trumpet. He attended Vanderbilt University where he joined the ATO fraternity and received his BE degree in 1975. He began his engineering career with the TN Dept. of Transportation and later worked for Barge Waggoner Sumner and Cannon engineering firm in Huntsville and Nashville. In 1990 he joined Ron Merville’s firm as senior engineer and project manager prior to the partnership they established. Projects Howe developed include the site plans for the Metropolitan Nashville International Airport terminal, the Saturn Automobile plant in Spring Hill, the Nashville Reservoir and other water retention projects as well as numerous residential developments and telecommunications towers. At the time of his death he served as the city engineer for the town of Kingston Springs, TN, a longstanding relationship he enjoyed. Howe was extremely well read and conversant on a broad range of topics. He followed Vanderbilt team sports, the Tennessee Titans and was a fan of NASCAR and other racing circuits. He was a soft spoken man and source of tremendous support for his wife, stepson, and especially for his son with disabilities. He was a member of The Arc of Williamson County, which provides supports for his son, and served on the board including a term as President. He will be greatly missed by family and friends. A memorial service is planned for 2 pm on Monday, December 4, atWoodmont Christian Church, Nashville. In lieu of flowers, the family invites well wishers to donate to The Arc of Williamson County (129 W. Fowlkes, Suite 151, Franklin 37064) or to The TN Disability Coalition (480 Craighead Street, Nashville 37204).

* * *

In moments like these, emotions overcome me, and I am afraid to write, but I want to say a few words for David. David was a true friend, and he was a gentleman in every sense of the word. Steady is the word that comes to mind - David was calm, and solid as a rock. He was one of the smartest people I’ve ever known, and a great friend. David was a loving husband to his wife Dara, and a wonderful father to their son Alex, and step-father to Dara’s son Aron. David was a fine ATO Brother.

Dara told me that she was out-of-town at the time, but that David apparently died in his sleep, peacefully. There will be a visitation from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Sunday at Woodlawn Funeral Home.

David, we’ll miss you old friend, may God’s blessings be on you and your family, rest in peace dear Brother.

Check out Beta Pi Blog! Post a comment directly to the Beta Pi Blog at: http://journals.aol.com/lasimons4law/beta-pi-blog/

VTL,

Larry Simons

Beta Pi, '72

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spoke with Earl Stover by telephone - Earl and David were very tight, and it was good to reminisce with Earl about David.  I was finally able to reach J.D. Strickland this morning by telephone (J.D. has no voice mail, and no e-mail), to notify him of David's death.  J.D. said he would attend the funeral (which was at 2:00 p.m. today), but I didn't see him there.  The Funeral Service for David was very meaningful, and comforting.  West Crafton was there, it was good to see West after all these years (West is a Tic, and I hope to be getting him on the blog soon).  David's wife Dara is holding up, but it has been so unexpected, I don't think the real heavy grief has hit her yet.  She had wanted all of you to know of David's death, and she had asked me to put the obituary on the blog.  I expressed to her deepest condolences on behalf of ATO.  David was a loyal brother, I will miss him.  Lord of Mankind .  .  .

Anonymous said...

E-MAIL FROM NEAL CRENSHAW, December 5, 2006:

"Very, very bad news about David...

Do you know what happened to da Meunchman's "Legs" - Jeannie Klima?

I'll be back in Udon Thani 23 December, commissioning my recording studio... riding motorcycles... eatin' prime grade filet mignon (@ $2/lb)... and drinkin' Chang beer ($0.75/ltr, 6.5%)..."

Anonymous said...

TECHNICAL UPDATE:  AOL informed me that the technical problem (blog does not display pictures) is "a system problem on the AOL Journal Server due to system upgrade . . . we are working to correct the problem. . ."  THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE (I've lost mine).

Anonymous said...

E-MAIL FROM ART LANDRY, December 5, 2006:

"Ricardo Montalbozo-- as always, thanks for your efforts.I had not earlier responded to your thoughtful posting of David Howe's obituary. Poor Domino. He was  a gentle man (who nonetheless made Andy Currie cry). One time he and JD invaded the New Orleans regions to attend a Rolling Stones concert in the Superdome and crashed in my slave quarters. Dom made fun of my old family terrier, then barely able to move, but for whom we still had a beware sign posted. When he laughed at the idea that such an old dog could be dangerous, she struggled to her feet, staggered over to him, and then jumped up and bit him on the ass. You never saw him move so quick. I aspire to that level of fight when I am an old dog. I had the pleasure of seeing Stoner, McGann and Heartfield in Va. recently. Your efforts had much to do with creating the avenue for contact, and I know we are all appreciative.Feel free to post for me, as I still struggle with the post- your -own system.Exten-Dos, AWL p.s. you mentioned Wes Crafton. Before the storm I met some lawyers at Galatoire's after a case and who should flag me over but Wes. Please do put him on the blog."

NOTE:  I tried to get West's e-mail, but he didn't have it memorized.  I gave him mine, but so far no word from West.  Art, if you would, please call West, I'll send you his number if I find it.

Anonymous said...

E-MAIL FROM JACK MEUNCH TO NEAL CRENSHAW, December 6, 2006:

"Hey, J. Neal,

Good to see that one smart Hunstvillian remembers another, especially one so fair.

Jeanne reside now in San Fran--twin boys about to go to college, married to lawyer at few years older than us.

I had actually made contact with her last year before going to a seminar out there--she was flirtatious and fun, but (edited) ___ , even on having lunch with her husband and me in a public place. Her (edited)___ that she was happily married (as am I)--when I took that out of play, the real truth surfaced, which was that she considered herself potentially too old and unattractive ("it's been more than 30 years since you saw me last"), and would rather be remembered as a luscious 22 year old.

I (edited)____ --embellished stories of some of our hot times, assurances that I still had hair and (edited)___ --none of it worked. I even
tried the Phibesian "Don't insult yourself", which in the old days (edited)___ --still zilch.  But, you know, she always craved adulation, and maybe even a fleeting glimpse of disappointment on my face may have been too much.

What a drag--the older I get, the more I crave continuity (which is why this Blog has been so thoroughly enjoyable).  She certainly seems to have been remembered by many a Tic, that's for sure. (edited)___!

Hope you're doing well. Sorry to have heard about Dom--his being part of the Andy Currie kidnaping
/crying episode will long be remembered. I don't really recall much about him, except that he was solid. Which I guess is great way to be remembered, after all.

Cheers,

Muenchie"

Anonymous said...

E-MAIL FROM DARA HOWE (David Howe's Widow), December 12, 2006:

"Larry,

Thanks for pointing me to the Blog.  I was able to view and read the comments.  I was glad to see that you contacted J.D., although the fact that he was a no show at the memorial service is no surprise....he was a no show at our wedding as well!  Now THERE's a man with 'issues'!  lol

I am unable to send you the headshot that was used in the paper, because I am unable to send it as a photo file.  Apparently, you can't capture jpeg images from a Word document once they've been imbedded.  So...I am hoping you can use this other photo from our trip to England in 2001.  Being the precise engineer, he enjoyed the tour of Greenwich with all its significance regarding time and geography.  Otherwise, I'll have to find something else.  

(Edited)  
Thanks much for helping with this.  It is not fun.  The hard part starts now.  
Take care.  
Dara

4414 Curtiswood Circle
Nashville, TN 37204
615-972-8034