Sunday, July 6, 2008

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2008, No.32 - Tick-a-lo Wimens in History!

Beta Pi:

IS BETA PI BLOG" JUNK E-MAIL?




: Yes, and no! It is not this e-mail. This e-mail contains some written content of the "Beta Pi Blog", not the entire content. The "blog" is actually a web-site, it includes pictures, links, Archives of previous issues, and other time-wasters. To get there, simply "Click on" the web address:



I’m driving to WalMart to buy a ceiling fan, and my Blackberry signals receipt of an e-mail. Its an AOL Alert telling me someone has posted a comment to the Peta Pi Blog. So far, only Tick-a-lo’s have posted comments. My friends, as you know Beta Pi Blog is not a private blog. It matters not, because we are gentlemen, and anyone is welcome to look at the blog, no? Well, I’m scrolling down , expecting to see the name of some Tick-a-lo like Pierce Hodnette or Steve Starr, and to my utter surprise, my ex-college-girlfriend Sally Tucker had posted a comment.

And, since anyone who ventures to post a comment on this blog must know, those brave enough to post comments are written about (lovingly, of course). Today, in the annals, history is made. And I’m starting a new feature called . . .

TICK-A-LO WIMENS IN HISTORY:

Sally Tucker posted this comment to Vol.2008, No.30:


"Larry, you are one crazy bastard. I stumbled across this blog trying to find a picture of your son. I was disappointed to see no old pics of me at the ATO parties!  The mud chick is Becca something. She was in the nursing program with me. Sally"
Sally-the-beautiful, thank you my friend! I am indeed a brick-or-two shy (but then you’ve always known that about me). Thanks for expressing interest in Andrew’s music. Glad you discovered the blog. You have made history, being the first ex-tick-a-lo girlfriend brave enough to post a comment. To celebrate that, this is the first installment of a new feature "Tick-a-lo Wimens in History."
You are correct, the famed "mud-chick" was the awesomely gorgeous Becky Bruning, Pi Phi and former girlfriend to the Mighty Harpo (I think). Fear not, there will be several Tick-a-lo’s who will admonish me if that was an incorrect memory lapse.

Sally, I did post a picture of you -it is posted in one of the previous editions (see Archives), I know not which. I looked for pictures of you and found a few, although they are not pictures of you at parties - I suppose I was too busy dating you to take pictures. However, you and I were in those days having many "private parties" during which we once went to one of those goofy photo-machines. I have lots of very fond memories of you, my old friend.
And, I found a few of you in the VU Annuals. If you have pictures, send some to me.

One of my favorite memories of you is when you (being a life-long Nashville native) took me (a green carpet-bagger VU frosh) downtown to wander around in the Union Station. Today, Union Station has been restored to all its glory, and is a fashionable luxury hotel. When you and I went, it was near condemnation - you could just walk in the building and wander. There was pigeon do-do everywhere (it’s a wonder you and I didn’t catch some exotic disease). But, you were a Nurse, therefore I trusted you, and anyway - when I was a kid, I had pet pigeons and a pigeon coop, so I had a personal understanding of pigeon-poop. But rest assured, if I ever do come down with an exotic disease of the respiratory system, you and I will file a class action against Union Station (though I might end up disbarred in the process).

You also took me on a tour of historic Arcade in downtown Nashville (a glass-covered mall built after a European design).  Thus was born my love of old buildings.

*   *   *

A few Reunions ago, I had the pleasure of running in to Sally, and my wife Ann was gracious enough to let me dance with her at the Reunion dance. Also that year, I got to dance with the ever-beautiful Becky Bruning and Karen Degerberg and Becky Denham! Yeah, baby! Any of you Tick-a-lo’s who scoff at coming to a VU Reunion (perhaps because you dislike the intense fund-raising pressure heaped upon us by VU) I can assure you, its worth it, just for the chance to dance with beautiful Tick-a-lo wimens, once again.

BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS: As of July 6 , 2008, the Blog roster total is 90 Beta Pi brothers, 82 of these Tick-a-lo men have e-mail addresses. If you have an e-mail address on a Brother - fugetaboutit!


VTL,
Larry Simons
Beta Pi, 72 (pledge year)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT E-COMMENT FROM MATT "BLANKIMO" BLANKENSHIP, July 6, 2008:

"BOING!"

TO MATT:  Yes, its like those "sing-a-longs" that featured "Follow the bouncing ball" - dancing with wimens is a beautiful thing!

Anonymous said...

E-COMMENT FROM SALLY TUCKER (printed with permission), July 6, 2008:

"OK, if you say so. I am awestruck, flattered beyond words, speechless, flabbergasted and dumbfounded that I finally made history!!! Oh, the humanity!

I still have the movie that we made on my super8 camera when we went downtown that day. Many years ago I had it transferred from the super8 to VHS.

Thanks for the pictures on your website. Those brought back some fond memories! I am so jealous that you have such a big cadre of friends from the old days to carry on the fun and the memories. I hope they appreciate all your efforts to keep the camaraderie going.

Did I tell you I got divorced last year? Probably not. Anyway, we're all better off now.

Thanks for letting me invade your blog!
Sally

TO SALLY:  Sorry to hear you divorced.  Hey Sally, I'll bet those movies you took are awesome.  If you could get those movies to me, it would be awesome.  I haven't done it before, but there is a way to insert video clips into the blog.  No one else has submitted videos yet (except Mark "Marlon" McGann, and although he brought a video on CD, the bum never gave me a copy - doh!), so it would be another "historical" first.  Larry

Anonymous said...

E-COMMENT FROM BLONKIMO, July 7, 2008:

"I'm rolling on the floor.  OMG!  Too funny.

Matt"

TO BLANKIMO:  "Well, I rolled and I tumbled, cried the whole night long .  .  .well I rolled this mornin', didn't know right from wrong" (from Rollin and Tumblin)

Anonymous said...

E-MAIL TO MARLON, July 7, 2008:

"Marlon:

My friend (and ex-flame) Sally just told me she is having some video footage put into digital format, to provide for the blog.  

You my good friend are the only other Tick-a-lo man who has video footage (of which I am aware) - the famed Eleuthra video's you brought to last Reunion, and played on tv set.

You should endeavor to get the video (converted, or copied or whatever - send me a DVD) to me, so's I can post it in the historic blog edition which features the first ever video's-o-history on the blog.

As always, if you or any of your IMF Team are captured, the Secretary . . .

Hey, are you coming to next Reunion, or wimping out?
Lorenzo
cc:  Sally Tucker

Anonymous said...

E-COMMENT FROM MARK McGANN, July 7, 2008 (edited due to severe profunditity-er-fanity):

"Well, I sent the following on June 11 in reply to Vinnie's e mail and have no response:

"So, Vinnie, what's the plan for reOnion this year?  Last we 'talked' you were ready to go again.  Case you hadn't heard, aptly named 3 day DCFest was this past weekend inspired by I don't know exactly.  Kind of a Beta Pi Woodstock without the dope.  Chip Heartfield was host with Haines, Wharton (natch) ESO, Don Scott, Qualls, Stoner AND their women folk all in attendance.  The culmination was an almost passable game of Tales.  So, what are you thinking, this year being the 30th for that Class, or should we all just come to your town for The Grand Old Party?"

Like I said, no reply so he (Steven B. Starr, XV) must be one busy, important mother_ _ _ _ _ so F_ _ _ ME!!  I'm so glad that I managed to survive a normally fatal affliction not to mention the perpetual shit storm that has rained down on me ever since just so I can be treated like A PIECE OF INCONSEQUENTIAL SHIT by those whom I obviously made the egregious error of considering my friends.  So, NO, I won't be attending reunion, ever, make your own g_ _ _ _ _n movie and leave me the f_ _ _ alone!!

TO MARLON:  Just think, ya' coulda had a V-8.  Send me that movie.  Here .  .  .

Marlon . . . you owe me a MOVIE! (as in "Eddie . . . you owe me MONEY!" George C. Scott in "The Hustler"

Vinny . . . you owe Marlon an APOLOGY!

Marlon, better change you DEPENDS, old friend.

Anonymous said...

E-CORRECTION FROM MUENCHIE, July 5, 2008:
Becky Bruning was Jeff Schwimbaggio Perout's girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

E-COMMENT FROM MUENCHIE, July 8, 2008:

"Trudy is getting a knee replacement 7/28."

TO MUENCHIE:  Yeah, my sympathy . . . Ann broke her left ankle last week, had to have an operation - now she's consigned to bed-rest.  Needless to say, she wqon't be coming to Sunflower with me.  

Let me hypnotize you .  .  .
Jack .  .  .

Jack .  . your beautiful wife Trudy will be ok, she will be very glad to be rid of you for a weekend, its ok go to Sunflower, .  .  . .

your beautiful wife Trudy will be ok, she will be very glad to be rid of you for a weekend, its ok go to Sunflower, .  .  . .

your beautiful wife Trudy will be ok, she will be very glad to be rid of you for a weekend, its ok go to Sunflower, .  .  .

Anonymous said...

E-COMMENT FROM ELIZABETH BREWER SCHAFFENBURG, July 8, 2008:

"Thanks for the notice. My children will both be coming home that weekend from Camp Kanuga in NC and Homeland Security internship in Frederick MD. Chances of my getting to Clarksdale are slim, but I'll try.

Thanks for the blog forwards. Saw pictures of McGann and Starr that helped confirm identities!

Elizabeth"

TO 'LIZABETH:  I just talked to Chet - said he "very much hopes" he can break away to be there.  It could happen!

Lorenzo

Anonymous said...

STONER ON THE LOOSE OVER "LARK MASON" DAUGHTER, BOING! - July 8, 2008:

"Being the Board Member of an organization that restores and maintains old houses  ( but has nothing to do with Asian Art)   I have taken on the task of a google search.

I conclude the following:
1) his daughter is very attractive  ( in a you-tube piece in which she interviews him about Asian ceramics)
2) he wears a bowtie
3) he appears way too academic to have been a tic
4) people do change over their lives
5) his daughter is attractive

Jim,

Pls let me know if you'd like me to assist you more with this research.       I leave it to you to make the Ticlor connection.

Lark Mason clearly knows alot about Asian Art

Dick"

TO STONER:  Send me pictures of Lark's daughter.  What's her name, Swan?

Anonymous said...

GRISSETT E-BASHES STONER, July 8, 2008:

"Remind me not to introduce you to my daughter -- but you could forward the Youtube link to us."

TO GRISSETT:  Yeah, won't be long before Stone-man is nabbed in one of those "sting" shows.  We should start calling him Lech-man.
Lorenzo

Anonymous said...

NEWS FLASH:  STONER & GRISSET REVEAL THE YOUTUBE CONNECTION TO "THE LARK MASON BABE"

"and to think I  imagined that Jim could do the same google search from Georgia !

As long as she is 10 years older than your oldest daughter,  it's OK,  I hearby declare"

(SEE LINK TO THE RIGHT)

Anonymous said...

HERE IS A BOZINO VIGNIETTE - BOZINO WATCHING THE LARK MASON SHOW:

Bozino turns on YouTube,

AUDIO - "THE LARK MASON SHOW"

Bozino (thinking) .  .  . antiques - boring - glass things - boring .  .  .

(Lark introduces his daughter)  

Bozino, listening: "Yeah, this show is awesome!  I love YouTube.  The images are just radiant.

AUDIO - Lark's voice:  ".  .  . this piece is historically significant, its made of jade-ite, a derivative of dolomite .  .  ."

Bozino:  BABE-ITE!

Anonymous said...

E-COMMENT FROM MARLON, July 8, 2008:
"I have a pretty good jade collection from the years I traveled in Asia.  Maybe Joanna would like to see it?

Who names their son Lark?

I poked around a little too and only saw him referenced in connection with Tennessee Tech."

Anonymous said...

E-COMMENT FROM SALLY TUCKER, July 8, 2008:

"Hey Larry,
I've been wasting time reading past issues of your blog. Is the John Stein in your blog married to Beth who writes for the Tennessean? Also, I was surprised to see Joel Kadarauch again! I recognized him immediately. Why does he live in Alaska?
Your blog is a ton of fun. You must be the busiest man in the world. I just had a thought - can you imagine when we are all 75 and at a VU reunion and you guys still pointing and saying, "Yeah, that Karen Dergerberger is HOT!"
Later,
Sally"

TO SALLY-THE-BEAUTIFUL:  Sally, yeah, John is married to that Beth.  I had lunch with John recently - but if my memory is not too geezer-itis infested, Beth no longer writes for the Tennessean, and I forgot what she does BECAUSE BOSS STIEN IS TOO BUSY TO KEEP HIS FRIENDS ADEQUATELY INFORMED (kidding, Boss).

Yes, JOR-EL KADARAUCH stumbled onto the blog much the same as you, and then Joel PONDERED ABOUT IT FOR A YEAR, UNTIL HE GOT WORK-A-HOL-IZED INTO SENDING A MESSAGE BACK TO EARTH (kidding, Jor-el) - I had a really nice telephone conversation with Joel, really great to hear him.  

I also got JOR-EL to finally (after all these years) provide me with the correct spelling of his pet word "Jiambo"  at least I hope its correct.  Alaska, Joel told me after graduating, he and his bride moved to Alaska - they love the high mountain wilderness (I am so jealous - as you know, I love mountains).

Yeah, and Degerberger is ass-bolutely the finest (she was looking fabu at that Reunion - 2000 I think) - she and many of those Pi Phi's, like you, hung out at Tick Mansion, and we loved it!
Lorenzo

Anonymous said...

E-COMMENT FROM BUCK-MIESTER BILLER, July 8, 2008:

"Dear Larry,
Please remember to take your medications and get some rest.  It will be OK.  We are all just here to help you learn to help yourself.
Regards,
Buck"

TO BUCK: Help yourself to some of this @#$%^&*() (kidding)

Hey Buck, when's your wedding.  HEY, PEOPLE, FRANK BILLER IS ENGAGED TO BE MARRIED!  Still planned for Thanksgiving?
Lorenzo

Anonymous said...

E-COMMENT FROM SALLY TUCKER, July 8, 2008:

"Larry,
Did you know Beth and I grew up next door to each other and were best friends for many years? I went to hers and John's wedding but I didn't know he was a buddy of yours! I took my 3 kids on a cruise to Alaska last summer and we had a blast. My oldest son is now stationed at Ft. Richardson in Anchorage. My middle son, who has the most eclectic interests, also likes Robert Johnson (from one of your favorite web sites).
Later,
Sally"

TO SALLY:  Small world, I didn't know that.  John "Boss" Stein is truly one of the Immortals.  Alaska sounds cool - always wanted to go.  Glad your son is into blues.  There was a video I saw recently which Clapton made - he spent a week in a hotel room rehearsing on Robert Johnson music, and the finale was the "performance" of him playing (recording) the songs live, and showing how it was done, fingerings, etc., between songs.  It was awesome.
Larry  

Anonymous said...

TO STONER & GRISSETT (aka Beavis & Buthead):

So guys, seriously now, did you really think this guy Lark Mason was a Tick-a-lo Man?  Or did you dream it up as a gag - just to see if I'd conduct a search on the Dork (I bought it hook-line-and-sinker)?  

He does have an awesome daughter, I totally agree.  Rare.  The video is worth the entire hoax - you doobie-heads.

Lorenzo