Monday, January 7, 2008

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2008, No.02 - Abominable Dr. Phibes In-but-out-but-in

Beta Pi:

YO - WAKE UP, THERE - 2008 IS HERE!: This is a heads-up "e-mail" - it is not "the blog." This e-mail contains the written content of this"Beta Pi Blog"issue, not the entire content. The blog includes pictures, links, Archives of previous issues, and other time-wasters - so you simply must raise your "bird" finger and "Click on" the web address:

http://journals.aol.com/lasimons4law/beta-pi-blog/ .


THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES, IN-BUT-OUT-BUT-IN: In response to a routine request for address information, I got this cryptic update from "none other than" Matt Hart, matthewjhart@yahoo.com a/k/a The Abominable Dr. Phibes:

"Former president, now between assignments. Was removed in Blackstone acquisition of Hilton Hotels. Excellent financial result for Shareholders and former president, but first time I have not had a job since 1966.

11111 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite 1110, Los Angeles Cal 90025...matthewjhart@yahoo.com 310-571-9520

Was cleaning out files in my Beverly Hills office and uncovered some truly vintage photos...pls hold blog #100 for me...true classics."


* * *

POETRY SHACK: Letters to The Abominable Dr. Phibes (Continued)

My Dear Dr. Phibes:

I never make New Years resolutions,

I prefer spontanaeity.

However, I am resolving - in spontaneous fashion - to continue

The tradition of letters

Which has largely disappeared in "e-mails."

The tradition of letters

Has few rules

Which are not also

Common sense - chief among them,

Honor thy correspondent with a reply.

Thanks for the update, and I am looking forward to seeing

The vintage photos you uncovered.

Blog #100 will indeed be reserved for

"The Phibes Pictorial Portfolio" -

Which will be dubbed triple p - "PPP."

Upon reading your blackberry message, I also note that

You consider yourself "between assignments." I can only

Imagine the pace and intensity of the life you led as

President of Hilton Hotels, and it must be

Something of a major adjustment to find yourself "between."

Your first time not having

A job since 1966 - 42 years!



A John Hartford song

Comes to mind -

"I’m goin’ to work in tall buildings"


Now that you have

Time on your hands,

I hope you will

Spend some time.

Water your garden.

My regards to our beloved brethren, and I remain,

Lorenzo Bozino


(For previous Letters to Dr. Phibes, see Archives,

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2007, No.23 - Muench on Vonegut and

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2007, No.36 -Fotch provides lead - Dr. Thomas McCown)


BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS: The Tick-a-lor Blog roster now stands at 84 Beta Pi brothers, 72 of whom have e-mail addresses. Beta Pi Blog is a beast which feeds on Tick-a-lor e-mail addresses - feed the beast!

VTL,

Larry Simons,

Beta Pi, 72

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FROM MARK McGANN, January 7, 2008:
""Between" you say, sounds more like Lucky Pierre to me."