Friday, March 9, 2007

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2007, No.18 - Search for D.W. Wilson


Beta Pi:SEARCH FOR D.W. WILSON PHOTO CONTEST: I need a mug-shot of D.W.. The earliest yearbook I have is 1972, and D.W. Wilson is not in it (that I could find). So, to my "older" brothers, if you could dig through your year books for 1971, 1970, 1969 and find a mug-shot of D.W., scan it, then e-mail it to me . . . first brother to get it to me wins the contest. The prize? Dinner or lunch for the winner + significant other at Rotiers (limit 6 brewski’s per person), at your next VU Reunion (must be present to collect prize). This prize underwritten by Bozino, and Bucko and Vinny (if they want). Now, the big fun will be in actually finding D.W. ( if he is still above ground, God bless him). Is there a brother in the house who knows? Let me know his e-mail.


APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX: As you probably figured out, it is one of my all-time-fav movies. I am obsessed with it! The novel was great, too (Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness). It really gets down into what war must be all about (I have not had the honor of going into combat, although I’m a veteran - posting my Basic Training photo as proof). It is the scene where Colonel Kurtz (Marlon Brando) talks about "the horror" that I love best:


"It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face, and you must make . . . a friend . . . of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. . .


"We'd left the camp after we had inoculated the children for polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't say. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile, . . . a pile of little arms, and I remember, I. . . I . . . I cried, I wept like some . . . grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized like I was shot, like I was shot with a diamond, a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, 'My God, the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure! And then I realized they were stronger than me because they could stand it. These were not monsters. These were men -- trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts who have families, who have children, who are filled with love - that they had the strength, the strength to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, then our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill - without feeling, without passion, without judgment - without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us."


In the very last few seconds of film, you hear Brando whispering "the horror . . . the horror" - it is awesome! This film cannot be rated - its that good.

BETA PI BLOG IS GROWING: Slowly, but surely. The blog now counts 64 bona fide Tik-a-loooo’s, as Ratman used to intone. Feed the blog, it is hungry for more "tik-a-lo-bro" e-mail addresses. Send them "po-liiice" (translation: please) as Itchie used to intone.

Check out Beta Pi Blog on the web! The blog address is:http://journals.aol.com/lasimons4law/beta-pi-blog/

VTL,

Larry Simons

Beta Pi, ‘72

No comments: