Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2007, No.05 - Clarksdale Blues Festival is coming

Beta Pi:


CLARKSDALE BLUES UPDATE: On a recent trip to Clarksdale, I pulled into the Sonic in Tunica, Mississippi, got a Sonic Bacon Cheeseburger, got back on Highway 61 South, and put a cell phone call into Venerable Chester Brewer wcblaw@aol.com ! Chet and I reminisced for some time about our various and nefarious Beta Pi Brethren, but more interesting was picking Chet’s brain for Clarksdale history (Chet is Clarksdale born and raised). It turns out the building Ann and I bought in Clarksdale - 149 Delta - is right across the street from Bill Luckett and Morgan Freeman’s Madidi Restaurant, and a block from their Ground Zero blues juke joint. Chet’s father (or grandfather, I forget) was a partner in Luckett’s lawfirm. That weekend, I ran into Bill Luckett at one of Shonda’s parties (Shonda owns Ms. Dell’s Feed & Seed and is a bonds and financial trader from London, England), and Bill confirmed to me that the Brewers indeed had a prominent place in Clarksdale’s legal history. Anyway, Chet is interested in coming to blues festivals, and even if no one else shows, we’ll dig some blues and hang out in ole Clarksdale. Other Tiks who have shown an interest in coming to a Clarksdale Blues Festival are Pierce Hodnette phodnette@eufaula.rr.com , Art Landry awl@awlandry.net , Travis Parr parrfamco@aol.com , Frank Biller fbiller1@msn.com , Frank Collinscollinzes@yahoo.com , George "The Heme" Tomlinson george@concklin.com , Mark McGann markmcgann@prodigy.net , and Rodney "Rod" Yanker rodney@aamglobal.com .

JUKE JOINT FESTIVAL

will be April 14, 2007: Book early, rooms are hard to find. Try Shackup Inn, or Big Pink Guesthouse. I will put up any Tiklor who makes the journey (although it may be on a sofa).

149 DELTA renovation update

: I’m posting before, and during pictures, showing our progress in fixing up our building. The plan is to lease the front as commercial space, and fix up an apartment in the rear, for a place Ann and I can stay during blues festivals. I am having fun doing this. I got a new roof put on, and we’re making progress. Long term plan, convert the front space into a small Café and roots blues venue.

Check out Beta Pi Blog on the web! The blog address is: http://journals.aol.com/lasimons4law/beta-pi-blog/

VTL,

Larry Simons

Beta Pi, '72







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

JACK MUENCH EXPRESSES INTEREST IN CLARKSDALE BLUES FESTIVAL, January 18, 2007:

"I have interest! W, do you still pick, ever? May be time to pick up the blues again."

Anonymous said...

MUENCHIE COMMITTS TO JUKE JOINT!  "Larry, as always, you are most  kind. W and I got be pretty good blues players, one (edited) soaked evening in particular. My wife is from near-coastal MS. (Carrierre) and she and I were at a wedding recently in Greenwood, which I think is about 60 mi. from Clarksdale. I think it would be blast. And I sent Art some good business post-Katrina, so he'll just need to suck it up.

Larry, this is one great big good deed you're doing here.  I think most, like me, wanted to find a way to get back together in some form and were too lazy or too afraid of rejection to do it.  BRAVO!

Anonymous said...

ART LANDRY - TENTATIVE YES TO JUKE JOINT:
"Hi Larry-- just walked out of a 2 week class certification hearing so been a little busy. Saw the email. Sounds like fun. I will put it on the calendar and start the process of seeing if I can make it."

Anonymous said...

Muenchie, I have interest in the Juke Fest, but I looked at a map and it's an 8 hour one way drive.  Ouch!  I am playing regularly with a motley crew of other old guys and my chops are up to scratch..  Check out the remixed Allman Bros  "Filmore Concerts"  mui beuno!   W