Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2012, No.02 - The Bucko Sports Page









Beta Pi:


IS  BETA PI BLOG WITHOUT ANY REDEEMING SOCIAL OR ARTISTIC MERIT?:  








YEA .   .   .   . or



NAY? 

Beta Pi Blog’s purpose: to bring ATO, Beta Pi Chapter Brothers and

ATO Gal-Pals together.  The blog is not to be taken seriously - it is meant for fun. 

The Beta Pi Blog is non-political.  It includes


pictures, links, Archives of previous issues,

and other


time-wasters.

To get there, go to web address: http://beta-pi-blog.blogspot.com

*      *      *

SO . . . YESTERDAY  . . .


















I get this e-mail from Tom LOVE-MAN Lovinggood, wondering why we are doing that thing Geezers do . . . dozing.

So, not being a sports-guy or sports-writer, I figured Buck is just the man.  Here is how it happened.  I get this from TOM, and I respond:

"Larry--

How come there has been no chatter over Vandy's victory over Kentucky last weekend? That has to be one of the greatest wins in the history of men's basketball at Vanderbilt??"

TO TOM: I heard about the game, awesome that VU beat the Wildcats. I was thinking of asking Frank Biller to write a sports ed about it, I'd be willing to bet he saw it.

Larry”




















THEN, BOSS CHIMES IN:  “I too would love to read a Buck rendition. It was wonderful history and theater. Proud of the boys. J.stein”

AND NOW . . . THE BOSS HAVING ORDAINED IT, BETA PI BLOG IS PROUD TO GIVE YOU:


THE BUCKO SPORTS PAGE

By Frank J. Biller


Hi Guys,

A bunch of us posted on FB Sunday after the big win. I can't figure out how to cut and paste from there so I will try to recreate.

We are the Champions! VU beats UK 71-64 to take the first SEC Championship home to Nashville since we beat the 'Cats in 1951. Jeff Taylor, you magnificent bastard! Ironically, Vanderbilt (aka "The Harvard of the South” - mainly by VU grads) plays the real Harvard Crimson in the first round of the Big Dance.

But. Have unfinished business with UK as we will meet them again in the final four- but they know we can beat them now!





My dear friend Frank Collins reminded me that Harvard grads refer to their alma mater as "The Vanderbilt of the North.”


Betty Engle declared that there will be inner family rivalries at her house during the 'Dores / Crimson tilt.

I have already begun the trash talking with my kids as VU will meet their alma maters Wisconsin then Ohio State just to get out of the lower bracket in the east.








Jeff Glanz chimed in "wow man, Vinny is killing Buck.”  Oops, correction, that was another story.





Seriously folks, this is one of the best teams Vandy has had in our generation, rivaling the VBk, Terry Compton, Jeff Fosnes group and the Will Perdue squads. I never saw the 50's group with Clyde Lee or Bob Dudley Smith's crew. I am sure they were fun to watch. I am not ashamed to say that when I saw Coach Stallings crying into his towel after the game, I lost it myself and sobbed like a little girl for about 15 minutes.

There was more written, but that is all I can remember.







It was a great day for our community and a sign of greater days to come in all our athletic programs. Don't forget the Commodorettes or the golf and baseball squads, champions all. Next fall we will see the greatest recruiting class in football since Heme the Heme, Cheeks Reed, Aber and Hawkins Golden first donned the Black and Gold.





For once OUR hearts are lifted in sweet victory. Savor the sweet taste and relish in the notion that it will pass our way many times again, for WE are the Champions today my friends. And we will be again.

I love all my ATO Brothers and Sisters and all my Vandy Nation,

Buck Biller

Class of '75

Vanderbilt University

2012 SEC Men's Basketball Champions

*     *     *



HOW TO POST, OR  READ COMMENTS: Just click the button - Comments - below.



BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS:   As of March 15, 2012, the Blog roster stands at 109 Tick-a-lo men online who have e-mail addresses (plus 6 Brothers who do not have e-mail), and 14 ATO Gal-Pals.  The blog needs e-mail addresses, please share!



VTL,

Larry Simons

Beta Pi, 72

5 comments:

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM TOM SOUDAN, PROTEGE OF ROD YANKER: "As Buck was listing championship teams he forgot to mention the SEC Champion Girls Cross Country Team coached by our own ATO 1981 alum Steve Keith."

TO TOM: Thanks, keep us informed, you are hereby commissioned to write a Blog Sports Page about the team and All-Time-Great Steve Keith. Send me the draft by e-mail lasimons4law@aol.com, along with photos of the team! Larry

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

PEROUT SPAWN TO SWIM NCAA!

"Hey Bozo,

I'm sitting on a plane on my way to Dallas to watch my kid swim in the NCAA championships
this week and will be in the Dallas area(Arlington and Mansfield where the pool is).

I already wrote Harpo as I remember he might be in the Dallas area, but as far as you know,
who are any other old Ticks down there?

Let me know....

Hope all is well with you..

Jeff"

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM HEME:

"I think that Claude Cody (72 or 73) is in Dallas."

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

AFTER 5 YEARS OF SILENCE, CUSACK SPEAKS!

"Larry: Mark Taylor played his high school basketball for Hobbs High School in Hobbs, New Mexico. Hobbs is an oil and gas town about 110 miles south and east of Roswell.

Just a couple of miles from the West Texas border. Population about 15,000, all of which are rabid basketball fans. In Hobbs, they refer to Hobbs as “HOBBS, AMERICA”.

They play this afternoon in Albuquerque at the UNM “Pit”, where Mr. Taylor played in the New Mexico State Championship some years ago. I image there will be a few Fans from Hobbs there.

TimCusack ‘73"

TO TIM: Breaks over, back to the grindstone. :)

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM TOM LOVINGGOOD:

"We may lose tomorrow, but we will all revel in our victory today!!!

TO TOM: Thanks for your wake-up call to all of us Geezers! Time for my Geritol.