Monday, May 9, 2011

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2011, No.02 - Young Frankenstein Revival





L-R: Bozino, Chris Regas, D.W. Wilson, Matt Hart, Rob Anderson, Smooty, Frank Biller (in the hat), 1971. Photo Courtesy of Clark Thomas. This is the only known picture of D.W. Wilson.




Beta Pi:

IS BETA PI BLOG WITHOUT ANY REDEEMING SOCIAL OR ARTISTIC MERIT?:


YEA . . . . or






NAY? Beta Pi Blog’s purpose: to bring ATO, Beta Pi Chapter Brothers and ATO Gal-Pals together. The blog is not to be taken seriously - it is meant for fun. The Beta Pi Blog is non-political. It includes

pictures, links, Archives of previous issues, and other time-wasters. To get there, go to web address: http:/beta-pi-blog.blogspot.com .





























.

LINK UPDATE : McClatchy Newspapers reported that the U.S. Government wants to resume research on chimpanzees again.

They had stopped experimenting on chimps, but before they did,
they sent chimps into space, injected chimps with HIV - you name it, they did it to chimps.




These are the same chimps who starred in Tarzan movies as Cheetah. The Blog brings this up as a public service, to warn our own





GEORGE a/k/a M-LINK FORD that he might consider going into hiding, until this government plot against chimps blows over, or at least until the ASPCA can come to the rescue of the


endangered simians. HAAA!









* * *




YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN REVIVAL? As you may know, the fabulous film by Mel Brooks, Young Frankenstein, has been made into a Broadway play, with some success.





Get this! There is actually a touring company coming to Nashville, and Young Ann and I will be getting tickets.




All this made me think of that Immortal Tick-a-lor, that GIANT AMONG HUMANOIDS . . .



FRANK a/k/a MARTY COLLINS, and the Class of 1976, whose Reunion is fast upon us.
 
The Blog wishes to commemorate the Class of 1976 . . .



ART LANDRY






CHARLIE McGIBBONY





CHRIS a/k/a BIRDMAN PAGE





CONRAD a/k/a CONAN THE BARBARIAN PETERSON









DOUG a/k/a NUB MARTIN (and his brother RANDY a/k/a BUM-JAM MARTIN)





. . . which brings to mind . . . A STORY! Once upon a time . . .





Siamese Twins were born, conjoined at the groin!





The Doctor said










We can separate them - but we’ll have to cut, and it won’t be equal - one may
end up very short.




As fate had it, after the operation, one twin was very, very long and the other very, very short.




The Blog will not say which Martin Twin got shorted, but you can surmise it from their nick-names.

They don’t call him NUB for nothin’.







And, there can be only one MIGHTY BUM-JAM!





FRANK a/k/a MARTY COLLINS




JACK a/k/a NICK THE NICK NICHOLSON





JOE a/k/a who? GARVEY






LEE a/k/a SCHWIMBAG HALL





OLIVER a/k/a OLLIE GRACE






STEVE a/k/a THIN MAN QUATTROCHI






BILL a/k/a LUNCH-MEAT a/k/a SCHMEAT WHALEN




  The stories about Marty and Schmeat and Nick alone could land the Blog in hot water. Perhaps some brave soul from Class of 76 will emerge as Tick Point Man for Reunion. Landry and Marty attended last year, and we hope to see them again! LET THE FLOODGATES OPEN!



* * *




STUBBY UPDATE: Apparently, Stubby was asleep at the wheel when the last Blog posted, but he redeemed himself with this excellent communique:




 I would like to order 2 doz. Stubby- bobble head dolls Should be a fast seller
will need more very soon.







TO STUBBY: Sorry, the dolls sold out - there was a Pit Bull Terrier Breeder who bought the entire lot (at twice retail), as dog toys for his attack pups. He said the likeness of Stubby’s face made his dogs drool.




* * *



HOW TO POST, OR READ COMMENTS: Just click the button - Comments - below.




BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS: As of May 9, 2011, the Blog roster stands at 107 Tick-a-lo men online who have e-mail addresses (plus 6 Brothers who do not have e-mail), and 14 ATO Gal-Pals. The blog needs e-mail addresses, please share




VTL,
Larzino
Beta Pi, 72

14 comments:

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

AWESOME E-MAIL & PHOTO LINK FROM CLARK THOMAS, May 9, 2011:

" . . .Larry’s note inspired me to look into my negative archive today, with ATĪ© glasses.

Found a BUNCH of photos that might be worth scanning -- if you guys would like to see them....?

Here's a link to one I scanned today. The negative sleeve just says: Whales Tales 1971. -Clark

Has a few familiar faces... http://www.simplephotographs.com/oldFun2.html

TO CLARK: Thanks! I'm posting your link in this "comment" - and in the next Blog I'll feature it. Your picture is awesome. It is the first picture we have of D.W. Wilson (seated at head of table, "Prince") - I have been asking for pictures of D.W. since day-1 of this blog in 2006. Awesome!.
Larry

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM FRANK COLLINS:

"weclome back, brother Bozo."

TO FRANK: Thank you brother Marty, my dear friend - looking forward to seeing you and the Collins Clan soon. Would you consent to being Class of 76 ATO Point Man?
Larry

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM CLAUDE CODY:

"For some of you younger guys, the guy to the left of D.W. is Howie Vogel, former worthy master and across from him next to Matt Hart is my former roommate, Rob Anderson, who was ALWAYS up for a game of tales.

Claude Cody"

TO CLAUDE: I think the guy to D.W.'s left is Chris Regas, and the fellow next to Hart does not look like Rob Anderson - but I'm not sure who he is. Be well, Mighty Claude!

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM TOM LOVINGGOOD:

"Larry--

Who else was with you in that photo? I recgonized Matt Hart, course, but I don't remember the names of the other guys.

Tom L."

TO TOM: Me, Chris Regas, D.W., Matt Hart, Mystery Man, and Smooty. In the hat (not pictured) was a nude Pussy Galore!

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM JACK MUENCH:

"Hard to tell. Howie would have made more sense with that group at that time. But Howie didn't have blond hair, which Chris did. Who do we think was wearing the hat?"

TO JACK: Clark just posted (however he posts) a picture Buck at that game, wearing a hat. Apparently, Buck was the guy in the hat - and wearing my sport coat. I'll have to put that picture up next time. Clark bombarded us with pictures after the Blog went up. Marlon, bite me!

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

MORE FROM CLAUDE:

"Heme told me the guy to the left was Regas and he could be. But the guy facing Regas/Vogel is definitely Rob. I lived with him for a year and saw that look many times."

TO CLAUDE: Then we are agreed, to the left of D.W. is the Greek, and because you have authoritative first-hand Roomate knowledge of Rob, the guy facing Greek is Rob Anderson. I thought I knew him - he kisckeed shit out of me in Tae Kwon Do - but I yield to the Distinguished Senator from 73.
Larry

Chuck Wharton - '79 said...

Larzino -

I note that in the photo you appear to be preparing to drink - would that be unusual?

Chuck

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

TO CHUCK WHARTON:

Ha! I had a great laugh with that one!

At that time (1971 to 1975), I was drinking somewhat excessively, all due to Wales Tales - a practice on college campuses we thought ordinary, but which later became known as "binge drinking."

Of course, I continued drinking moderately after college, excessively in the U.S. Army, and sporadically on the music scene here in Nashville - and kept on wetting my whistle until 1991 when I swore off alcohol forever. Best decision I've ever made.

Why don't you toss one back, for me, my dear friend?

I love the variation on my ever mutating nick-name.

Larzino

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM FRANK BILLER:

"I think I have the players identified. Left to right- Bozo, Greek, DW, Matt, Unidentified Tic (perhaps Jim Flood?), Woose. I am in the hat.

I know this was freshman year because I smoked a pipe that year and I remember the goofy hat and tweed jacket. This may be the night I went to jail.

Clark- you magnificient Ticklor!

The pledge swap has Droopy, Smooty, T Parr, Matt, Stubby, Wimp and 2 unidentified Tics

The slave auction has a ton of guys. Matt may be able to id them all. I do see Biggie Rat, W, Perout, Wazz, Perout & others.

Publish more pics Clark!!!"

TO BUCK: Yes, you were quite distinguished looking with the pipe, and the hat. No one knows - or no one has said how to find D.W.. All he did for the 8 years he was at VU was play Tales.

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM CHRIS THE GREEK REGAS:

"Really great memories! Yes, it is me, the Greek, on the left...what a guy. My son and his buddies are impressed with Buck's form...one for the Tales Best Practice Manual..all the best Tic's...Greek"

TO GREEK: As I recall, you nailed me repeatedly - I may have become the well that game.

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

HISTORIC FIRST - HOWIE VOGEL SPEAKS OUT:

"Frank,
I think you are correct. It is not me. However, I like the fact that Claude, my little brother, tried to keep me relevant. Clark's fabulous photos are fun. Let's hope he was judicious on Shipwreck Weekend! Best wishes to all my Alpha Tau Brothers!
Howard
f/k/a Howie
Howard H. Vogel"

TO HOWARD: I started after your time, but I know Claude Cody well -if you are in Nashville, look me up.
Larry

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM CLARK THOMAS:

"Listening to all of you reminds me of visits to my mom’s retirement community — great energy but a bit fuzzy on the details. I'm the type who wants the names on the photo to be correct, but correct in this case seems to be open to interpretation, nicknames, etc. Howie just mentioned shipwreck and being judicious, but I believe my only shipwreck photo are of ducks. I edited the Commodore my junior year and missed most of what happened at the house, but I'm enjoying all these one-to-one emails conversations I'm having with a bunch of you now. Makes me wish I'd somehow stayed more active. I did all the rush slideshows for PiPhi, TriDelt & Theta instead which probably worked out better for me anyway. Even married a Theta, tho 12 yrs my junior. Have a slave photo with Stein on deck I may post -- but here's a rough scan I just grabbed... -Clark
p.s. Comcast won't send to the longer list for some reason, but I'll try Chris's short list. Please pass the photo on..."

TO CLARK: Thanks - I can't post pictures in my comments section, but any you send out I will eventually post on the blog. You were - and are - the consumate mystery man, your pics ignite banter. My friend - if we are getting to sound like retirement home types, then maybe you should have been a Sigma Nu (kidding).

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

WORDS OF WISDOM FROM BUCK BILLER, May 11, 2011:

"Some men are born to the well, some men achieve the well, some men have the well thrust upon them.

Hey Greek- I can send you a map of where Nashville is if you don't remember. Ditto to Stubby, Wimp, Fotch, Woose, et. al. Homecoming is fun. Come back and see how all the Tic's turned out! It's fun and amazing. SAE's still suck, but they have a great stereo.

Buck"

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

A COUP! NEW BETA PI BROTHERS EMERGE FROM THE NEBULA:

This type of thing happens rarely - Beta Pi Brothers find their way to the Blog, rather than Blog Detectives smoking them out. Today, we received this gem . . .

FROM TRAVIS BURCH:

"I'm not on this list and would like to be. Are you sure that's me? Did I ever have that much hair? I do recognize Donnie Wilson. He probably still looks just like that if he's still on this mortal coil. Johnson's address: stevewjohnson.johnson@gmail.com, Burgess is jburgess8507@gmail.com, Vogelei is bvogelei@lucydogart.com.
I still have the annual from that year that shows The Last Supper in all its splendor.

Thanks for sharing,

Travis"

TO TRAVIS: Anyone who knew D.W. Wilson must be a Beta Pi Brother, a/k/a Tick-a-lor.

We are glad you have expressed an interest in being on Beta Pi Blog. Here is what I need from you:

An e-mail note with your name, address, e-mail address, year of graduation from Vanderbilt, and the name of your ATO Big Brother, or Worthy Master, or some other ATO older than you whom you admire. And a photo, if you wish. If not, pick out a cartoon character or celebrity likeness that we can use to "depict" you. My e-mail is Lasimons4law@aol.com .

After I get that from you, the Blog will induct you in the next issue.

The other friends you listed in your note, I do not recognize their names (I was there from 71 to 75) - if they are ATO's, pass this on to them (with similar instructions) and the Blog will induct them too.

The Blog is interested in expanding forward (ATO's who graduated or attended after 1975) and backward (ATO's who graduated or attended before 1975). Right now we have guys as far back as 1970 and as recent as 2000.

The Blog is international, literally. Spanning the Globe . . . we have a guy as far away as Thailand (the Immortal Neal Crenshaw, 75), Alaska (the Inimitable Jorel Kadarauch, 75) and as obscure as Clarksdale, Mississippi (the Abrasive-yet-Loveable Chester Brewer, 75).

WELCOME, BON AMI!