Thursday, March 17, 2011

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2011, No.01 - Irish? Who Cares?





















Beta Pi:



IS BETA PI BLOG WITHOUT ANY REDEEMING SOCIAL OR ARTISTIC MERIT?:









YEA . . . . or









NAY? Beta Pi Blog’s purpose: to bring ATO, Beta Pi Chapter Brothers and ATO Gal-Pals together. The blog is not to be taken seriously - it is meant for fun. The Beta Pi Blog is non-political. It includes





pictures, links, Archives of previous issues, and

other time-wasters. To get there, go to web address: http://beta-pi-blog.blogspot.com .



IRISH? WHO CARES? I can say that, because I am part Irish. Dulaney on my Mother’s side goes back to ancient Ireland. My father is Danish/German. Hell of a mix - a Euro-mutt - I’m telling you. Well, the Irish have an attitude about drinking - everyone should do it, a sort of badge of honor. I take issue with that, as you know I do not imbibe and have not since 1991. For many, St. Patrick’s Day is another


excuse to drink, and to them I say - Happy St. Patrick’s Day.



A MISUNDERSTANDING REVISITED: I had lunch with Boss Stein recently, and we discussed (I got called on the carpet for) some political e-mails I sent out. I promised The Boss that I would send an explanatory note.



First - any item you receive that has the heading  Beta Pi Blog  is blog-related, and therefore you have my word that it will not contain any political content. I send out an e-mail as a heads-up that a new Beta Pi Blog edition is up, with a link to the Beta Pi Blog website. Bottom line, if it has the heading, or words Beta Pi Blog - you can trust that there is not political content therein.


Second - from time to time, I send out personal e-mails on my e-mail address lasimons4law@aol.com . DO NOT TRUST THESE E-MAILS.

As in the movie  O Brother Where Art Thou ,


DO . . . NOT . . . SEEK . . . THE . . . TREASURE!

I am a flawed human being, and sometimes write political rants to presidents, senators, congresswomen, police officials, etc., and copy them to my friends. I have a diverse list of friends (maybe the lesson of Diversity from ATO Rush 1972 stuck with me). I have had about an equal number of positive and negative responses to these rants. And, unfortunately, a very few downright hateful responses. And, a few Brothers -mistaking my personal e-mails for the Blog - have accused me of putting out political rants under the Blog. I categorically deny that, and challenge anyone to scour the Archives and find even one political transgression in the Beta Pi Blog.

I knew when I started the Blog in 2006, and still believe, that Politics are so divisive that putting any political content on the Blog would be excluding, and defeat the purpose.

I think you all well know that ATO was founded to help bind the wounds of the American Civil War, between North and South. What could be more political than that? Yet, we manage to unite and coexist, and I promise you - no politics in the Blog.


* * *


















FARM UPDATE :



Bessie is getting big!













We have her halter-trained now.







Ann and I are building a Storage Building, and putting a cabin in one end of it - a place to stay on weekends. That has been fun.

* * *


NEW BETA BLOG PRODUCT LINE UNVEILED

A light bulb went off - we need products to meet the demand generated by BPB. Not to worry. Your Beta Pi Blog Staff has come up with some jim-dandy products, although these have not yet been priced.



The Stubby Bobble-Headed Doll. Remember the twinkle in Stubby’s eyes, the happy cloud-nine  look, following his ventures in the Yellow Car? Now you can recreate those days with an exact replica of Stubby, bobble-headed! Price: $_______








The M-Link Flea Comb. Back in the day, on George’s forehead, there might as well have been a flashing neon sign Vacant. Well, now you can relive those great days of yester-year with the Missing-Link, while you groom your dog. Price: $_______









The Marty Prosthetic Hunch-back Hump.

Next time you have a Young Frankenstein party, why not dress the part. Prosthetic hump shifts from left to right shoulder with the push of a button! Price: $_______







The Eddy Oppenheimer Gigantic-Nose. Who wants to go through life with an ordinary nose?

Jimmy Durante made a fortune off his nose - Eddy has spent a fortune trying to fortify his privacy so no one will actually know he has one.

Now you can look just like Eddy! Price: $_______









The Buck Biller Paint Can / Brush set.


Remember Buck telling Boo-boo Ziska to paint the lions and Boo-boo thought he meant the E’s and their dates in formal wear on E-prom Night? Who can forget the humiliation of scrubbing oil-based paint off the E-House with paint stripper and wire brushes? Now, you can live that memory each time you do household maintenance. Price: $_______














The Marlon Talking Doll that says STELLA! Only one Tick had the face-that-launched-a-thousand-paternity-actions. The face-man himself, Marlon. Great memories of Mr. Face can be yours, and it talks! Price: $_______














The Matt Hart NYC Trench-coat. Remember the tale of The Tick-a-lo Man, as told by Matt, depicting a guy on the streets, opening a trench coat with merchandise in the pockets? Now you can have a replica coat, made of 100% polyester, with a dozen zipper-pockets inside each side. Price: $_______





* * *


HOW TO POST, OR READ COMMENTS:  Click the button - Comments - just below VTL, . . If you’re having trouble, send me an e-mail and I’ll post your comment.

BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS: As of March 17, 2011, the Blog roster stands at 107 Tick-a-lo men online who have e-mail addresses (plus 6 Brothers who do not have e-mail), and 14 ATO Gal-Pals. The blog needs e-mail addresses, please share!



VTL,










Larry Simons

Beta Pi, 72

4 comments:

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM PENELOPE MALONE, March 18, 2011:

Enjoyed reading the blog and got a laugh out of the John Galliano pic. A fine example of the dangers of getting drunk as a skunk in a public place. Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day to you from a fellow Irishwoman (and I have the picture of my Irish great-grandmother in the required Southern Ancester Worship corner of our home to prove it).

On the subject of horses, have you seen these Gypsy Vanner horses? http://www.bigpinefarm.com/Our%20Vanners.htm

They are the most beautiful horses I've ever seen (haven't seen one in person, only in photots) but all that hair problem takes a lot of grooming. Enjoy the springtime! Best, Penelope

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM STEVE CUMMINGS, March 18, 2011:

Larry-

I hope things are going well. Please change the email address you have for me to my home account.

Steve-cummings@austin.rr.com

DR Flower contacted me recently when he was in Austin, we had lunch and caught up on the thirty (!!) years that have flown by since we had last seen each other. This blog works!!

Thanks,

Steve

TO STEVE: Got it - thanks. Give my best to Mighty D.R.!

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

RESEARCH ON THE IRISH, PROVIDED BY MARK McGANN, March 18, 2011:

"An Irish Man sits in the pub with his wife and he says, "I love you."

She asks, "Is that you or the beer talking?"He replies, "It's me...talking to the beer."

THE IRISH
Courtesy of P.J. O’Rourke, National Lampoon

Racial Characteristics:

Pie-faced, neckless, bandy-legged sots who almost never have sex.

Ignorant and superstitious, they are in utter thrall to the vile,
conniving priests of their dark and barbarous religion.

Their women have their legs on upside down and no man in the country eats anything but potatoes, and only eats them when he is out of strong drink.

The principal delights of the Irish are in quarreling and fighting and killing each other with bombs.

They can be trained to do nothing useful that a dray horse can't accomplish in half the time, and they spew out a continuous stream of mumbles and grunts which they fancy to be "poems."

They sell their children for whiskey.


Good Points:

Many Irish are dead.



Proper Forms of Address:

Bogmouth, peat-face, Mr. Potato Head, nun-buns, dumb Mick.



An Anecdote Illustrating Something of the Irish Character:

There once was an Irishman who got so drunk while he was in Rome that he kissed his wife and beat the Pope's foot to a pulp with a coal shovel.

Courtesy of P.J. O’Rourke, National Lampoon

Stubbs said...

I would like to order 2 doz. Stubby- bobble head dolls Should be a fast seller will need more very soon.