Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2010, No.08 - Class of 75 Update

















Beta Pi:








IS BETA PI BLOG WITHOUT ANY REDEEMING SOCIAL OR ARTISTIC MERIT?:



YEA . . . . or



NAY?


Beta Pi Blog exists for one reason: to bring ATO, Beta Pi Chapter Brothers together.





The blog does not take itself very seriously - it is meant for


fun, and therefore is non-political. It includes

pictures, links, Archives of previous issues, and other time-wasters. To get there, go to web address: http://beta-pi-blog.blogspot.com .



















As you know, I am a believer in polling, so I can keep my hand on the throat of the beast.

Blog Denizens . . . Beta Pi Blog brings you . . .

THE TESTIMONIALS POLL. I sent this poll to the Potentates of 74 who showed up last year. I received 2 spectacular responses:



POLL RESPONSE OF JACK MUENCH: Larry, thanks for being patient on this. Our last reunion was both fun and meaningful. I hope that my responses will help to encourage more from the class of '74 to attend next year, and to encourage all Tics from the class of '75 to show up! Really, you'll be glad you did.




What did you enjoy most (besides yourself) about the Class Party on Friday Night - name names? In no particular order, Marla Lovingood (are there any prettier eyes on the planet, really?); old and onetime inseparable buddy Bob Smoot (who has obviously done well and still retains a wonderfully self-deprecating outlook); Matt (who, as always, refused to let any of us take ourselves too seriously and kept us in stitches); and Vinny (and this was a great relief as I had long feared that our both having dated Laura Riddick [eternal shame on me for my conduct in that one] had created a rift--if there had been one ever, Vin immediately put me at ease). Naming names is tough because by doing so, I exclude others (Buck, D Price, Boze, and the Love Man himself, all near and dear).

At the dance part of the party, I enjoyed meeting and talking with Linda Burns-Bayless and Debbie Payne (artist) and dancing with Cindy Vee, Theta of Yore and acquaintance of former love Mimi Berkeley. At the end of the dance, the conversation with Matt, Cindy and Linda, where he tried to get the ladies to kiss ... or at least talk about it. And Matt's kind recollections of my "dating" prowess, which I hadn't recalled so fondly ... except for a memory or two shared by Buck and myself.

What did you enjoy least (besides Matt Hart) about the Class Party on Friday Night - name names? The only times I didn't enjoy Matt in all the time I've known him were the times he rightfully busted my fanny for screwing up on the IM Fields O' Glory. The hardest part for me was eating--I was too busy talking! As was Matt, but he made up for it by eating cabby's french fries.

At the dance party, what I enjoyed the least were the people who weren't there-W, Herb, Rat, Travis, Crazy Legs, Fotch, A. Baird, TTK, Earl, Greek, Heme, Nick, DONUTS what happened to you guys??


Apart from the disappointing score at the Game - how was the food and fellowship at the Tailgate Party and Homecoming Game? Major highlight was communing with the Smoots (the food was fine, I thought), especially Bob's hilarious description of what we allegedly had thought his RIDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER would turn out like. Then, Matt and I hightailing out of the tent and over to the game, for a reason that we will long recall and must not be mentioned here. Ah, how that reminded me fondly of many a joyous bolt!!

At the game, Sandy Smoot was a huge highlight--friendly and quite knowledgeable, and kept me from stumbling at the end because my poor old feet were frozen! I also enjoyed talking with George Welborn at length--doubt we spoke that much the whole 4 years at Vandy, and that's a pity, for me at least. And let's not forget the repartee between Shaw Daddy and Rego, who served to remind me that yes, there were plenty of cretins in the old days and yes, even time can't heal all miscues.

After the game, enjoyed a long, pleasant and confused afternoon with JD Strickland, who informed me that my beloved Scotch was poison and urged me to forsake all means of ingestion save the Volcano. That afternoon reminded me what was so great about being a Tic--oftentimes we would find ourselves with others besides our core group, virtually always to the delight of all concerned. Jim Fish and Hugh Hamilton, whither away? Earl? Tison? Matt Blankenship?? Ralph? Blink if you hear me!






Though you were tempted to hurl a ham-biscuit at Dr. Phibes, how disappointed were you that the Tailgate Party did not erupt into a food fight?

I thought it was great, especially Matt's and my escape at the end. Besides, had a food fight ensued, someone might have beaned the lovely Ms. Smoot, and then I would have had to fight a duel. Or sing a duet. Or drink another Bloody Mary.

Besides, had it happened, then we surely never would have seen Jim Cordner again.



Although not as good as Alex and Laura could have done, how were the food and beverages at the ATO Dinner on Saturday Night at Cabana? Honestly, between the wine that I was plying the fair Ann with, my joy at Leapin' Gene's unforeseen show-up, and the conversations I was having, I hardly noticed the food. But the place was killer, and the organization more so. Really enjoyed Alex's prayer too.

Thanks, Ann.



Even if you did not personally play Wales Tales at Cabana, in your observation, was the Tales game in the side-booth conducted in a gentlemanly manner, yet in keeping with Tales Tradition? I feel compelled to note that Tales Tradition always encompassed and never deviated from conducting ourselves in a gentlemanly manner. I sagely prided myself and my fellow players on our courtly demeanor, crawling and puking though some of us often were.

Right after the reunion, one of the younger Tics wrote and said that when he saw the bottles arrayed, he heard the angels sing. Ditto for me--I bolted my conversation with delight (but then I always felt a secret thrill whilst bolting) and hit the table. Oh, the memories! Table switches! In but out but in! Silent dups (I called two on myself). Reverse sixes around the table! And, in place of the inimitable Herb Ladley (who drank ONLY when he wished), a fellow of little hair and tremendous skill. Best of all, no table votes (I always drank with the loser in those things, thinking that to even ask for one was ungentlemanly in the extreme). Missed Larry, but understood. Buck, Vinny, hi ho! And a mercifully early end for an old guy who, more often than not, closed his eyes to see.


Were there a satisfactory number of ogling wenches on hand? NO. Beckies Bruning and Denham were sorely missed. Nothing against the wenches at the Cabana, although in truth I was so into being a part of that game that I didn't notice them. Nor they I, probably.

I am compelled to note that the gaggle of gorgeous 20-somethings whom Matt and I selflessly attempted to befriend after you all had left seemed to be ignorant of the pleasures of wenchdom. Ahem.

Would you recommend this experience to some of those ne'er do wells of '75 who are so miserable they have never attended a Reunion, the likes of Arms Aylward, Paul Bland,

Chet Brewer, Dan Denny, Abner Glover,









Harpo,



Clyde Noel, Jeff Overby, Steve Parr, Ben Pedigo, Steve Scofield, and Brian Solomon. YES. Our diversity is what made us great. Fotch on down!!


Further, could you recommend this experience to those ne'er do wells of '75 who have attended previous Reunions, but are just miserable anyway, such as Frank Biller, Matt Blankenship, Tison Keel, Steve Quattrochi, Vinny Starr,

Earl Stover, Clark Thomas, and Gene Young? YES!!!! Roach Man, how many years has it been since we discussed my Plymouth Fury? TTK and Earl, how long since we have shared ... . You will be glad you came--I was, and am. And will be. Anybody want that last burger?



In your humble opinion, how badly will these Brothers suck if they fail to show up (remember, we are gentlemen (only curse words allowable are hell, damn and tits)? Actually, they will never suck, but will surely be missed. As to Rena Dabney and T Parr, whom I had really hoped to see, I will use none of the allowable words, but only say hello. And, Matt, thanks for everything, it was incredibly great to see you again.

George LOOOOOOOOOO Joe, I will never abandon the

spirit of the Yellow Car. Smoke 'em Vandy!

Keep us pure in heart and mind.

Respectfully,

MUENCHY!!!

TO MUENCHY: Thanks - excellent piece of gonzo journalism my friend!



TESTIMONIAL POLL RESPONSE - FROM THE ABOMINABLE DOCTOR PHIBES:

OK LARRY, I will give a testimonial, even though you went out of your way to slam the Venerable Phibes, for no good reason. The class Party was decent. We got stuck on Peabody campus. It was truly great to see my friends, esp. D. Price. I made a few circles around the room and chatted up some SAE’s, Sigma Chi’s and Phi Delts that I remembered. I also worked some of the ladies but that got nowhere, as they tended to be locals and since they avoided me then they avoided me now, too. The tailgate event was fair- it was pretty cold. The best part was hanging with Smoot and Muenchy and reliving old stories. Smoot had his lovely wife and daughter there, along with a friend. It was great to talk to them- they seem so innocent, knowing what I know. The Game was awful. I sat next to Stein and his wife and froze my ass on the aluminum seats. The event at Cabana was excellent, because it was ATO only plus there was some young poon-tang in the room. I made a few weak efforts. Leaping Gene Young and JD Strickland were there, the Tales game was just right. Somewhere in the weekend there was a big dance party under a tent. I dragged Linda Burns there and had a good time (Editorial Note: Matt told us that Linda Burns was Phibes’ lovely date in the famed ATO Biker picture which appears in the annual Commodore 1972).

I would say that the Wench quotient was poor. Once the word went out that The Rat was not going to be there it was pretty bad. I enjoyed spending time with Frank Biller and was amazed at the Clothes Horse that Vinny has become - we just don’t see outfits like those in LA. The local Brothers were nice enough guys. It was nice to see Nashville again, but the best part is seeing your ATO Brothers, including George wellborn and Dr. Lovingood. Aloha.


TO PHIBES: No good reason? As I wrote the Testimonial Poll, I was suffering from PTSD which resulted from the Chinese Water Torture you applied to my posterior fold, despite the retaliation of ice cubes down your collar (kidding). Glad you had a good experience. It was truly a  Night To Remember, dear brother Phibes.

* * *

CLASS OF 75 UPDATE:

So far, here are the Class-o-75 Brothers who have responded:



STOOGE #1 - BUCK BILLER: I booked my room already. Get it done soon. I am bringing a mystery date and you miserable mugs cannot crash with me. Buck

(PS to Ben Pedigo- Who are those guys you are playing with on the Web page for our class reunion? One of them looks like Earl Stover from behind.)

STOOGE #2 - LARRY SIMONS: I am booking the Cabana early, the planning machine is activated.

STOOGE #3 - VINNY STARR: Vinny hasn’t actually responded, but I would bet my left .   .   .   .
over Krystal Burger he will be there.







TISON KEEL : Yes, planning to attend, in shallah.










BEN PEDIGO: Larry- Thank you for keeping everyone in touch with each other- I will try to get to Nashville in October- Kim and I are doing fine- thank you for your friendship- Ben


OTHER POTENTATES EX OFFICIO SLATED TO ATTEND:











JACK MUENCH: Muenchie has given me a verbal YES, he will attend.



* * *

HOW TO POST, OR READ COMMENTS: Click the button - Comments - just below VTL, . . If you’re having trouble, send me an e-mail and I’ll post your comment.


BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS: As of April 21, 2010, the Blog roster stands at 99 Tick-a-lo men online who have e-mail addresses (plus 8 Brothers who do not have e-mail), and 10 ATO Girlfriends-o-Yore. The blog needs e-mail addresses, please share!













VTL,

Larry Simons

Beta Pi, 72

3 comments:

Becky Bruning Manyak said...

Larry- Your blog always leaves me laughing! I've really enjoyed the pics of the Tics from this past reunion. Buck gets my vote as the guy I would still recognize on the street... Anyway, I'm trying to get commitments from Becky Denham, Karen Degerberg, Katie Herrington, Betty Ingle and Ellen Wright to attend our 35th in October. I'd give anything to see some of you play a Wales Tales game again!!!

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

CONFIRMATION FROM ART LANDRY, April 25, 2010:

"Lorenzo--yes, we plan to be there."

Beta-Pi-Blog said...

FROM FRANK BILLER, April 25, 2010:

"I think Art's law firm "Landry, Landry, Floose, Fern and Sons" should sponsor a corporate tent in Printer's Alley serving Green Devil Absinthe and featuring appearances from King Tchapitoulas Krewe, Buckwheat Zydeco and Mickey Rourke.

But, that's just my opinion- I am glad Art is coming.

Buck"