Friday, November 16, 2007

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2007, No.58 - Pierce Hodnette Guest Blogmiester

Beta Pi:

E-MAIL PUBLICATION POLICY CHANGE: This e-mail contains only the written content of "Beta Pi Blog", not the entire content. To see the entire blog, which includes pictures and links, and Archives of previous issues, you must go to Beta Pi Blog on the web by clicking on

http://journals.aol.com/lasimons4law/beta-pi-blog/ .

GUEST BLOGMIESTER PIERCE HODNETTE - BYOG CLARKSDALE:

Clarksdale, Mississippi is a unique and unexpected place. Time slows to half its normal pace and the air is full of the smell of cooking Barbecue. The soundtrack is delta blues. The boon companions, Matt and Mimi B1ankenship, Larry and Ann Simons, Pierce and Cindy Hodnette, met in Clarksdale on Friday November 9th for a weekend of fellowship and exploration. The Blankenships and Hodnettes stayed at the Big Pink Guesthouse, a former ice cream factory converted to a two-story townhouse. 100 yards away were the Delta Blues Museum (highly recommended) and the Ground Zero Blues Club (owned by actor Morgan Freeman and local businessman Bill Luckett). We visited at the Big Pink, then went for supper at Abe’s Barbecue, located at the legendary crossroads of Mississippi Highway 61 and 41. The crossroads is the mythical site where blues man Robert Johnson sold his soul to the Devil in return for musical genius. At Abe’s, Larry offered up the ATO dinner prayer - Lord of Mankind - and then, in mid-feast we were joined by Bob "Arms" Aylward, who marched in to Abe’s, ordered up his plate-o-que, and joined in. Bob is the money manager for the Seattle Mariners and was in the area on family business. Bob came bearing Mariners baseball caps as gifts to each of us! Bob is truly one of the greats and it was a real pleasure to see him.

The group repaired at 9:30 to Ground Zero. On the bandstand was Big T and the Family Band. Big T the blues man was backed up by some very young guys who rocked. Particularly stunning was Omar, a 16-year-old guitarist. Roger Stolle, local owner of the Cat Head Folk Art and Music store, says Omar is a product of a program by the Delta Blues Museum in which blues men teach young school kids the art. Omar was taught to play by Big T, and now plays in T’s band. The dancing was hot and the town characters were in evidence. Roger Stolle writes on his website that "The ‘character’ to ‘normal folk’ ratio is high" in Clarksdale. Puddin’ has the three card monty concession at Ground Zero, with a table near the front. It costs five dollars to see him in action. Mr. Tater the Music Maker is a local blues man who hustled his CD’s from table to table. Tater also has tee shirts at the Cat Head with his picture on them but no writing. Pierce asked Roger Stolle how Tater gets paid. "He may have the most modest act around, but he’s the best self- promoter", said Stolle. Tater sells the tee-shirts and his CD’s at Cat Head on consignment.

The next morning the group ate breakfast at Rest Haven, a Lebanese place, then wandered around town between the Simons’ apartment 149 Delta Avenue and the Big Pink on John Lee Hooker Lane. We met a local musician, Ronnie Drew, who runs a music store and recording studio. He invited us to a chili cookoff that afternoon at the Delta Amusement Café. Live music. We went out to the Hopson Plantation, where Ann’s cousin James Butler (owner and proprietor of Hopson) showed us around. He has converted the former plantation commissary into a museum and juke joint. The place is also dotted with shotgun shacks that have been fixed up so that they can be rented - a business known as The Shackup Inn. A group of friends from Memphis had rented the shacks for the weekend and were cooking barbecue on a huge portable grill. Dogs and kids wandered around the area in front of the shacks. Each shack has electricity, a bathroom, and comes equipped with an electric guitar and amp for jamming. We had beers in the commissary and took a tour of the property with James.

That afternoon the music started at 2:00 from the back open area behind the Delta Amusement Café. The townsfolk were there, the chili could be sampled, keg beer was free, and the band cooked. Several local musicians sat in and did a few songs. All the characters, including Tater, Puddin’, and a drunk guy we saw the night before dancing with a very young very drunk girl. drunk guy at one point was playing a very out-of-tune guitar with the band, but didn’t play long. The local people were warm, welcoming and fun. Ronnie remembered us and acted like we were old friends. Puddin’ hit Pierce up for $5 to do his card trick and Cindy took pictures of the whole thing.

That evening Groundspeak, an unbelievable jazz/funk/jam band from Memphis played a set of original music for us at Little Pink, a former plantation commissary moved by Ann’s brother next to Big Pink. Little Pink is decorated with old stuff like album covers, music posters, and chocolate tins picturing Elvis in his army uniform. The band set up at one end of the big room and played to the six of us plus Ann’s mother, Lou. In this intimate setting we got to hear fantastic original music from Groundspeak’s soon-to-be-released CD. Larry was able to hire them because his son Andrew is the bass player. They have a site on Myspace. Visit, and get the CD when it comes out in the next few months.

So in one weekend we heard three live bands. Just as in New Orleans it’s impossible to get a bad meal, in Clarksdale it’s impossible to hear a bad live band. Everyone needs to go to Clarksdale. They have four blues festivals a year. Thanks to Larry and Ann for arranging the trip and for all the work they did to make it so memorable. To get a taste, google Cat Head, Shackupinn.com, or Ground Zero Blues Club. If you want to see something, a young blues artist named Olga has a video on the web that was filmed at Hopson Plantation, James Butler is in the video, serving Olga a beer at his juke joint. Go to Olga’s website www.laolga.com and there is a link to the video.

* * * * *

A short poem is in order:


Thanks to Pierce

for blog-a-roo, and to

Cindy Hodnette

for photos faboo!


HEY BRO’ - GET MORE BROTHERS’ E-MAIL ADDRESSES TO US!

VTL,

Larry Simons

Beta Pi, ‘72

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

FROM MATT BLANKENSHIP, Nov. 12, 2007:
"Dear Larry and Ann,

Thanks for hosting BYOG.  Mimi and I had a great time!  I'm sorry we had
to leave so early on Sunday, but I did get back in time for the
Father-Daughter dance with both of my daughters and it was well worth
it.  Please give Lilly and Odie hugs for us and feel free to pee on
Odie's paw to let him know how much I care.  Please give Lou our love too.

I can't believe how friendly everyone was in Clarksdale.  Small towns
are really different than the big city.  Ron greeted me like we had know
each other for years at the chili cook-off.  All the shopkeepers on
Delta were so friendly too.  What a great place you have found.

Please tell Andrew and the boys how much we enjoyed their music.  And
thank you for having them come down.  It was really a treat.

Pierce and Cindy, it was so much fun getting to know you both.  Cindy,
you should really loosen up and relax.  And thank goodness Pierce was
there or the three guitar players would have just stared blindly at each
other wondering what to play and not knowing enough songs to fill up
half an hour!  I promise to learn some songs for the next BYOG!  Yes,
and remember them too!

Would you both please send me your mailing addresses?  I have a few
tunes to send you and Mimi wanted to send something to you as well.

It was truly a wonderful weekend that I will always remember fondly.  We
look forward to the next BYOG!

Talk to you soon amigos y amigas!

Matt"

Anonymous said...

FROM MATT HART, Nov. 17, 2007:

"Fantastic write up-pass the Rolaids"

Anonymous said...

FROM FRANK BILLER, Nov. 17, 2007:

"Dear Pierce and Larry,

Pierce, thank you for the great report and for making the pilgrimage to Clarksdale.  Larry, thank you and Ann for making the Clarksdale connection for all of us.  What a bonus to see Arms!  I am so bummed I did not come.  I want to move to Clarksdale now.

Here's my take on Olga.  I dialed up Olga's video.  She is a babe.  But, I think not a blues Babe (yet).  

You guys saw her eyeball to eyeball.  I just saw a slick video.  It sounds like she can play that red slide guitar.  But, I don't hear the grit in her voice.  The old line from Stephen Stills goes...
"If you want to play the blues
You have to live them too"

I didn't get it when I heard the line 40 years ago.  After having the shit kicked out of me physically and spiritually the last 10 years I get it now.  When I play today, and I shake and bend those strings, my Strat is crying out from the pain and sadness and loneliness.  No one may ever line up to see me or pay IPod or the record company to hear my riffs or hear a note I play.  But when I play, I play the blues I feel in my heart.  It doesn't matter who hears.  God hears.  And I hear.  And I know I am a bluesman.  And those sounds will soothe my soul till my judgement day.

I don't hear that from Olga.  But, she has chops.  And somebody or something will kick the shit out of Olga some day.  And she will get some gravel in her gizzard.  And you'll hear it in her voice and her phrasing and her slide work like you hear Emmy Lou pining for her lost love when she holds her vibrato just a bit too long.  Olga will just hesitate a little bit on a word or shake extra hard on a note or hold a chorus a half breath too long. And then she will be a real Blues Babe.

I am sorry I missed you guys.  I'll be there next time.

Anonymous said...

FROM FRANK BILLER, Nov. 27, 2007:

"Hey Larry,
FYI.  This guy is really good.  I found him playing in a saloon down by the river.  He has a really cool foot stomper thing that basically acts as his percussion section just by tapping his foot on it.

When is the next scheduled event in Clarksdale?  I want to get a trip on my calendar.  January is filling up fast.
Regards,
Buck"

TO BUCK:  I've heard of the King Biscuit Festival, but I've never been.  Its in Helena, Arkansas, not too far from Clarksdale.  Sounds like your friend is a good player.  It might be fun to check out King Biscuit.  As to the next BYOG, it has not been scheduled.  What's your preference, spring, summer or fall?
Larry

Anonymous said...

MUENCHIE PREFERS MARCH OR APRIL:
"Larry, here is my quandary about the fall. Oct. is usually go to the Smokies month; however, 10/21 is Trudy's birthday, so that would be a good time as she is usually happy to get back to the Delta. November is the last month of our fiscal year, so travel isn't impossible, just looked at askance. But my big tax seminar is in NYC in October, too, and that is unmissable.

Thus, I suggest the spring, late March, early April--as you know, the air is soft and fragrant (why do I think of Crazy Legs as I write those words?) in MS then, and there are no (deer, dove, turkey) seasons then (except turkey all of April, but I usually only go a couple of times).

So--how about the third weekend in March? Are things blooming and whatnot then?  Dr. Mallette, what say you? Pierce?  Matt?

Again, want to tell all how wrenching it was not to have been there this last time--at least it wasn't due to procrastination, but it still hurt.  Matt, I forgot to mention this to you when we talked, but I still recall the leg that could send a soccer ball the length of the field. Still recall the joy of the many times our eyes met, you waved me downfield, I took off, and the ball landed right at my feet, easy to trap, the distance between us by then 50 yards+. Great memories!  And W, goodness, too many to recount. Even through the years and distance, when we speak its like talking with the best part of myself.

Vaya con dios to all.

Anonymous said...

FROM MATT GUITAR BLANKENSHIP, Nov. 30, 2007:
"Jack,

We missed you too.  We did drink a toast to you...or it might have been
a roast...I really don't recall all that clearly.  Actually, with the
possible exception of the Ground Zero night, we were all pretty tame.  
Ok, we were all REALLY tame by historical standards but we were
boisterous and enthusiastic!

The soccer memories were great.  Thanks for refreshing my feeble
memory.  I can remember the feeling right before the games would start.

Late March is problematic for me as that is Spring Break time for my
kids.  If that is the best time for everyone else, then by all means do
it then!  I'll do what I can to make it or rest assured that I'll be
roasted.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas.

Matt"

TO MATT:  So Matt, what is your preference - spring summer or fall?

Anonymous said...

MATT BLANKENSHIP - ANYTIME BUT SPRING:
"It doesn't matter to me.  If we are looking at spring, then maybe it
sould be pushed out a year to 2009 since we just got together.  You are
the host with the most, so it's really up to you and Ann.

Matt"