Friday, October 5, 2007

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2007, No.52 - Van Sayler Reports on Smooty





Beta Pi:

VAN SAYLER REPORTS ON SMOOTY: Van Sayler, erstwhile and asleep-at-the-wheel point man for the Class-o-‘77, sent the following update - an e-mail he received from International Man of Mystery, Bob Smoot:


From: rsmoot358@aol.com [mailto:rsmoot358@aol.com]

Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 8:49 AM

To: Van Sayler

Subject: Re: Reunion

Van,

To say I’m saddened by my inability to attend a gather of Tics, especially those from 1977 (even though I really am a 1974 guy), is an understatement. Unfortunately, I’m unable to reschedule a prior commitment. I was looking forward to catching up with all the other "Humanoids" and pound a few brews or a bottle of scotch among old friends on the back porch. The times I spent at the house and with various brothers have provided me with many warm and comforting memories, which somehow only get better with time, sort of like a nice Margaux.

Mark and Chip were very kind enough to include me on an excursion to RFK to watch the Nats play. We talked about times gone by and those things that appear to be important to us now. It was a delightful afternoon. We wound up going to a water_hole near Marlon’s place in Arlington and proceed to consume a decent quantity of Heinekens. Chip, being the responsible person that he is, bid a fond farewell, whereupon, I drove Marlon home. Marlon made the mistake of offering me a brew, needless to say, his frig was bare when I left, only then, to face a 25 mile, one eye squint, drive home. I still owe them a BBQ at my joint, perhaps, if Vandy gets on the tube one Saturday??????

Basically, I spent the summer at the beach. As a consequence, my golfing skills has vanished, now I’m relegated to high 80s to low 90s _ can’t make a living playing at that level. In fact, I’m getting calls from my buddies offering to send a limo to pick me up for a "friendly" game, just to ensure I arrive, of course, after stopping at the bank for some cash.

My older daughter graduated 2 years ago and is working for Booz Allen Hamilton and has a townhouse in Arlington, and my younger daughter just graduated fromUVA in Spanish and Religion _ great job skills set. Somehow, she landed at a medium size investment banking firm, The Richman Group, were she is learning how to develop tax credits utilizing the affordable housing program.

So, life is good for me, my kids are educated and I have ample time for my bride and my insane friends in the DC area, all of whom would have been great Tics of note. It is funny, how we somehow wind up with basically the same kinds of cohorts in crime, whether it is in college or in our later life, they all poses the same trait exemplified by the Tics during my long and arduous career at Vandy – honest, caring, fun loving, etc… Just ATOs.

So enjoy the reunion.

Smoot"

RESPONSE FROM VAN SAYLER:

"Smoot

We will miss you. But life does sound good. Let me know when you are down this way again so we can get together

I have been doing some affordable housing tax credit work myself, small world.

Van

* * *

EDITORIAL NOTE: Great Smoot-letter, lame excuse.

TROOP LINE-UP, CLASS-O-77 30th: Reunion/Homecoming news:

* * BROTHER STEVE CUMMINGS:

scummings@Crossroads.com is scumming in full-battle-armor.

* * BROTHER VAN SAYLER:

van.sayler@raymondjames.com will be armed and ready.

* * M-LINK: All-time-great George Ford, a.k.a. M-LINK

georgef@leedscustomdesign.com confirmed to report to the trenches.

* * BROTHER MARK McGANN: All-time-face-man Mark McGann

markmcgann@prodigy.net is flying in fully-loaded.

* * BROTHER BOZINO: Lorenzo Bozino,

Lasimons4law@aol.com , although emotionally AWOL, will be among the armed and dangerous.


* * BROTHER FRANK "BUCK" BILLER: Kamikaze Humanoid Buck

fbiller1@msn.com will lead the frontal assault as the human-dive-bomber! Buck called me, and his industry show may provide an opportunity to leave early, and he is definitely arriving Saturday, perhaps earlier than expected. His sole mission is to seeMarlon and force Vinny starr2456@comcast.net to lose his "bet."

Check out Beta Pi Blog on the web! The blog address is:http://journals.aol.com/lasimons4law/beta-pi-blog/

VTL,

Larry Simons
Beta Pi, ‘72

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FROM STEVE CUMMINGS, October 5, 2007:
"Larry-

T-minus 7 days and counting…  All systems go…  We are pumped about the Reunion!  Since the game is moved to 5:00, should we try to get some of the bro’s to join us at Rotiers for lunch on Saturday?

How’s the weather?  Will we need the “nectar from Lynchburg” to keep our bellies warm or a cold brewski to keep us cool?

My phone crashed so please send me your phone numbers again.

Thanks!"

TO STEVE:  Yes, I like the idea for lunch at Rotiers - there will also be a pre-game tailgate (mid afternoon) with plenty-o-food - we can guage the hunger factor.  The weather is not too cool yet, but I'll check the forceast when we get closer.  I trust you will endow your flask with appropriate special sauce. 615-512-1448