Thursday, July 24, 2014

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2014, No.05 – The Bucket List Committee




















Beta Pi:




IS  BETA PI BLOG WITHOUT ANY REDEEMING SOCIAL OR ARTISTIC MERIT?:  

 
















YEA .   .   .   . or


 
 








NAY? 

 
Beta Pi Blog’s purpose: to bring ATO, Beta Pi Chapter Brothers and ATO Gal-Pals together.  The blog is not to be taken seriously - it is meant for fun. 

 
The Beta Pi Blog is non-political.  It includes

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
pictures, links,
 
 
 








Archives of previous issues,

 

and other time-wasters.

 

To get there, go to web address: http://beta-pi-blog.blogspot.com

 

*      *      *

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Several years ago, Frank Biller said something that really inspired me.  He was talking to me about one of our guys, Gene Young, he said something like "Leapin’ Gene needs to come back.  I want to see him and have a beer with him before I kick the bucket.” 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I remember posting something like that, and I don’t know whether Gene ever read it, but the next Reunion, in one of the biggest surprise visits ever, Leapin’ Gene Young came walking into Cabana for the Annual ATO Dinner (pictured above with Frank Collins), and it was a total shock, no one knew he was coming, it was AWESOME!   That has been on my mind the last few days, as I was thinking on a theme for the next blog edition . . . and it inspired me to this idea . . .

I contacted several TICS, and invited them to pick an old pal, and write a short blurb.   The responses were PHENOMENAL.  So, without further “to-do” . . . Beta Pi Blog gives you . . .

THE BUCKET LIST COMMITTEE

A drum roll, please . . . and let the trumpets blow Fanfare!  Here are the illustrious Bucket List Committeemen . . . 










GEORGE "ABER" ABERNATHYLarry, I can certainly give a few stories but the ‘old’ pictures are missing. The man that needs to be there from your class is STUBB,





and here’s a MUG SHOT from a few years ago.  Remember he attended the bowl game against NC State, but you already have those pictures. STUBBS could eat more potato chips/snacks/bags of anything crunchy than any person alive after smoking some good stuff. He also was the most difficult person to arouse from deep sleep, as it took Heme, Regas and Me to awaken him in shifts during summer school one year. I guess all those long nights’ sleep wore off his hair.
Aber 
 
Editorial Comment:  Aber, you and Stubby both have that same "I'm happy now to be killing you" look on your faces, the same look that scared the shit out of me and my Pledge Brothers!  You guys are frickin' beautiful!  To this day, I would NOT want to be in a position to be on your bad side, were I to meet you in a dark alley in a pissed-off mood!  HAA!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CORY “STUBBS” CLARK:  Cool, I'll send you something in a short

 

 







 

TOM “LOVE-MAN” LOVINGGOOD:
Larry--
I had a lot of brothers from that era when I was there that I would like to see again, but if I were to pick one brother out, it would be Mike McCarty




Even though he was a year ahead of me, I always admired his demeanor, confidence, and over-all attitude.  Mike and I had a few classes together, even though we were in totally different majors. Before examinations, Mike would take the time to "tutor" me, and for that, I owe him "big-time." Thank you Mike for helping me graduate!!
Tom Lovinggood

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
JOHN “BOSS” STEIN:  Many of my ATO brothers slip into my mind from time to time.  Who knows, who understands , these triggers? 






Sometimes it is a natural linkage to a distant memory .   Sometimes it is an unknowable spark.   But Boys , these are a veritable treasure trove .



One particular brother that I would love to see is







Dr . Thomas McKeown.....aka Mickey Motorcycle.   A great American and thoughtful human.   Mick , you rock.   Jfs










Editorial Comment: Beta Pi Blog Editors can now announce a winner in the "Best Blue Hair Contest" - the award goes to . . . Boss Stein!  By the way Boss, over the last several years, some attempts to reach Thomas have been made, but we haven't heard anything.  Here's hoping Thomas is well.
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 GEORGE “THE HEME” TOMLINSON: 
I'm interested, but I won’t be able to get to it this week.   Go ahead, looking forward to seeing. The Heme.

 
 
 
 
JACK “MUENCHIE” MUENCH:  Sorry, Larry, leaving in about an hour for the Lowcountry with my son and eight of his best buddies for his bachelor party weekend. I am the best man, and so am committed there. Maybe you can add me as an adjunct next week.

Editorial Comment:  Jack, bravo to you for putting family first, and congrats on your son's wedding!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CHAD “THE WAZZ” WEISS:  I reacquainted with my old pal Jeff Perout recently.
Turned out we both live in Sarasota, Florida and didn't know it. Great fun.
We regularly get together and enjoy a little sailing and a few brews on Sarasota Bay. All Tic's are welcome to join us, just bring along a few brews and we'll chase some whales tails. Chad

Editorial Comment:  Chad, you might have seen it - a few years ago Jeff sent me a treasure trove of old pics, which I posted (it's somewhere in Archives).  It would be awesome if you and Jeff would show up this October, I think it's your Class of 74, this year, yes?


STEVEN “VINNIE” STARR:  Larry,  Happy to oblige.  I have three Bucket List candidates.  You can use one or all of them.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Chet Brewer:    I haven't seen Chet since 1975 when we graduated, and I would like to know if he still goes by the nickname Chet "gee it's great to be me" Brewer, or whether he prefers Chet "I don't know everything but I know everything that's important" Brewer.  Also, if I get to see him I hope it's near a swimming pool so I can return the favor he and Buck did to me by throwing me fully clothed into the pool in his parents backyard in Florida.  He's also allowed to bring his brother Lyons (or as Chet pronounces it "Lons").

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Lee Hall:    I also haven't seen Lee since 1976 or so and last I heard he was an MD internist somehere in Georgia.  I'd just like to know if he still has that funny-ass laugh of his...

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Ted Stephany:    Ted and I had a give and take relationship at ATO - he'd give me a pill and I'd take it!  Plus I would like to see how he's handled his hair style since those long wavy days of yore when he used to be a staple of hair modeling shows.

 

Editorial Comment:  Vinny, I'd like to see Chet too.  I've had 3 or 4 really nice conversations with Chet in the last few years, Chet is a changed man.  I exchanged e-mails with Stephany, I think Stuff is permanently "distracted" from all the "Stuff" for which he received his nick-name "Stuff".  Lee Hall is a horse of a different color.  The ONLY way I can communicate with Lee is through his "personal assistant" - Mrs. Lee.  That's right, if you send Lee an e-mail, his wife answers it!  Apparently, Lee does not "do e-mail."  I have tried to persuade her to tear Lee away from the grindstone . . . but Lee apparently is a workaholic who simply cannot bear to take breaks, not even a weekend.  We do know Lee is ROLLING in green, from all of the work he does.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
FRANK “MARTY” COLLINS:
I know you're not officially recognized by the national chapter as a true ATO, but in my eyes (and I do mean "eyes") you were one of the most important Tics around in days of yore.  Steak???  Wherefore art thou, Steak?


Your hugs hastened my recovery from Travis' hemes!  You made me feel welcome at the house when I was a newcomer being crushed by my rambunctious brothers.  I'd be honored to see you again and do some reminiscing.  Cheers!"

Editorial Comment:  the immortal Rena Dabne a.k.a The Steak might not be recognized by National, but for her infectious Southern charm and sisterly flirtatiousness, her good-sport attitude about the misogynist monicker Travis dubbed her with, her Greek-esque beauty and dominating figure, and her sheer ability to make every Brother feel as though he were the only man in the room . . . Beta Pi Blog has officially recognized her as "Pre-eminent ATO Girlfriend of Yore" and in the Annals of Tic Imagination, MONUMENTS have been erected to . . . . her . . . . . outstanding . . . . . personality!
















"LEAPIN'" GENE YOUNG:  Bozo—Good to hear from you.  Thanks for the blog.  Here is my bucket item: 


Matt Yonge and I roomed at the Tic House in “74, I believe. (I think your were there, too at the time).  In any case,
Matt scored me a blind date for Homecoming.  He met the poor girl whilst under the influence.  Let’s just say his judgment was impaired and the date was a bust.  Despite that, the Yonge/Young brothers remained happy roommates.  Have not seen Matt since graduation, but did hook-up by phone 2 years ago.  Would love to see him at a reunion.  Gene

Editorial Comment:  You may remember Gene Young and Matt Yonge were dubbed "YOUNG & DUNG" - HAAA!   Seriously, Gene, the immortal Matt Dung has fallen completely off my radar, I have no info on him, no phone or e-mail, please get me whatever info you have.

















FRANK J. "BUCK" BILLER:  submits the following Bucket List  Nominees:
 





Jeff Overby-  I want to find out the real scoop on Jeff's relationship with Heaven Lee.  Emoji
 








Chet Brewer- I loved drinking and hanging out with Chester.  He and JD always seemed bemused by the fact that I was at Vanderbilt driving around in the "immigrant wagon".  Truth be told, I was a bit puzzled myself.  After Chancellor's Zeppos speech to the alumni a few years ago, I figured it out.  In the 60's and 70's, Vandy was trying to break out of the mold of being a "Southern" school.  They had a big push on to get kids from other regions to matriculate.  When Zeppos said that, a light bulb came on in my head.  So, now both Chet and I understand how I ever got into Vanderbilt - I was the quota that year for Iowa!Emoji




Junie Borg- She was the best looking 20 year old chick I ever saw.  I want to see if the is the best looking 60 year old chick I ever saw.  Reports are that she may well be. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
LARRY "BOZINO" SIMONSI haven't seen Herb Ladley since 1974, and I miss him. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is Herb, pictured with Pierce Hodnette and Becky Denham, at "Columbia Wales Tales" in 1973.  Herb was very studious, but partied with the best of us.  Some will recall he was so good at Wales Tales, he was dubbed "The Prince". 
 
 
He was my trainer in the boxing match I had with Frank Biller, so I had a chance to get to know him a little better. 

When I reconnected with Herb a few years ago - and it wasn't easy, but a very kind Nurse I talked to sympathized with me when I told her I was an old college pal of Herb's - trying to reconnect - I think she went out her way to get my message to Herb.  Anyway, shortly thereafter, I received a package in the mail, Herb had sent me a CD of some mutually favorite 70's music by BOZZ SCAGGS.  I was thrilled!  It made me realize that Herb "got it" about me how much I love music.  Thanks Herb!


Herb is a prominent and busy Heart Surgeon, but I hope he takes a few days off to come to Reunion and reconnect.

*      *      *

ACTIVE CHAPTER UPDATE:

I drove by the Tic Mansion a few days ago.  It is still vacant.  There are Notices posted on all entry doors, and something new I noticed:  Two large and conspicuous Surveillance Cameras have been mounted on the front of the House, on either side of the front doors. 
 
My guess is, these hook up to the VKSC “Vanderbilt Key Stone Cops” – who are under orders to watch out for illegal “assemblies” of ATO’s in front of the House.  After the Crime of the Century by the Rush Chair - e-mailing a satirical piece loaded with three dozen usages of the "f-word", The direct descendant of Oscar Wilde was BANNISHED from ATO, and Vanderbilt used that as an excuse to punish the entire Chapter.  The Actives who were deemed unfit - not sufficiently "PC" - were run off, and the remaining “purified” ATO’s will be given the chance to make a new start this fall.  I can't wait to see how many wear bow-ties and Esquire Shaved heads.  When you come for Homecoming, make it a point to come by the House. 
 
 
 You might have seen the Movie “V for Vendetta” - in which an oppressive government did evil things to it's people, and some led a revolution.  The infamous "Mask" was worn by the leader, and eventually most of the people learned of the injustices and wore this mask in solidarity. 

We at Beta Pi Blog are fashioning a Mask, in the spirit of "V" which we shall be passing out to Alums next fall, to wear into the ATO House, to display our solidarity with the Brothers who were so unjustly dealt with by the oppressors. So,  when we appear in front of the VIDEO SURVEILLANCE CAMERAS mounted on the TIC HOUSE, the VKSC will see that we are truly purified, neutered, and thoroughly PC individuals entering the House.
 
 

*      *      *     *

HERE'S HOW to “JOIN THIS SITE”: All you need to do is JOIN "GOOGLE +" -- click ACCEPT to invitations or click on "JOIN" GOOGLE + FOLLOWERS.

*      *      *

HOW TO POST, OR  READ COMMENTS: Just click the button - Comments - below.

BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS:   As of July 24, 2014, there are 37 Blog Website Members; there are 115 ATO’s on the blog list, plus 16 ATO Gal-Pals.  And, there are 6 Brothers who do not have e-mail. 
 
VTL,






Larry Simons

Beta Pi, 72


No comments: