Monday, August 18, 2008

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2008, No. 41 - New Blood, Welcome Marty Heflin ATO '80

Beta Pi:

IS "BETA PI BLOG" JUNK E-MAIL?: Yes, and no! It is not this e-mail. This e-mail contains some written content of the "Beta Pi Blog", not the entire content. The "blog" is a web-site, it includes pictures, links, Archives of previous issues, and other time-wasters. To get there, simply "Click on" the web address: http://journals.aol.com/lasimons4law/beta-pi-blog/ .

The internet has uses - somehow Marty Heflin m@m2hgroup.com found me, and sent a message . . .

NEW BLOOD, WELCOME MARTY HEFLIN, ATO ‘80: Although I graduated in 1975, my dear friend Steve Starr, a.k.a. Vinny starr2456@comcast.net stayed on at Vanderbilt Law School, and through him I got to know some of the greats who entered Vanderbilt ATO in 1976, and 1977, and 1978. Such fellows as Rodney Yanker rodney@aamglobal.com and Kurt Wagner. Today, I was contacted by Marty Heflin, ATO Class of 1980.  Here is some of the correspondence:

TO MARTY HEFLIN:

Marty:
I am ATO Class of "75. Did you know my friend Steve Starr, a.k.a. Vinny? Or My friend Rod Yanker?

Larry

FROM MARTY HEFLIN:

Small world! As I recall, Vinny ran my Star Chamber when I pledged...Rod was Chapter President my Senior year. Good guys, both. Saw Rod at reunion a few years ago, but haven't seen Vinny since graduation. Did you know Kurt Wagner...I think he would have been '78?

Best,

Marty

TO MARTY HEFLIN:

Marty:

I did know Kurt, and Wags. I heard Kurt died.

Larry

 

FROM MARTY HEFLIN:

Oh no! Last contact I had was about 15 years ago - he was working for Bose up in Boston.

Very sad.

Marty"

So, without further reckoning, BETA PI BLOG WELCOMES MARTY HEFLIN - new blood, and the roster goes up a notch. May I suggest that Vinny - who must have heaped mightily on Marty in Star Chamber - correspond with this wayfaring brother!

* * *

BLOG TIPS: Be sure to check out the COMMENTS at each issue. This is where your e-mails are posted. Go to the bottom of the blog issue, where it says "This entry has __ Comments" - and click on "Show Recent." There are some great comments. Some brothers are posting their own comments. To do this, click on "Add Your Own."

BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS: As of August 19, 2008, the Blog roster stands at 91 Beta Pi brothers, 83 Tick-a-lo men online who have e-mail addresses. If you have an e-mail address on a Brother - fugetaboutit!

VTL,

Larry Simons

Beta Pi, 72

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

E-COMMENT FROM MARTY HEFLIN, August 18, 2008:

"Larry,

Well there's a couple of hours wasted!  Just kidding, terrific job - tons of memories.  We need to get some of the others from late '70's early '80's in.  Saw Jimmy "Poo Beater" Grissett in there...Schmeat, et al...the greatest!

VTL,
Marty"

TO MARTY:  Yeah, we recently unearthed Schmeat - he is down in New Orleans receiving tutelage from Art Landry and Travis Parr!  You're in Nashville - we should get together for a coffee and share abusive stories about Poo Beater.
VTL,
Larry

Anonymous said...

MORE FROM MIGHTY-MARTY-H, August 18, 2008:

"Would love to - are you in Nashville too?  The Grissebeast is worthy of many a tale!

I didn't realize that George Tomlinson was an ATO - he is doing a lot of great development around town.

Marty

Martin Heflin
Managing Partner
M2H Group
615.460.9093"

TO MARTY-H:  Yes, George Tomlinson '73 is a human-god - he is none-other-than THE HEME, a legendary ATO.  Heme is coming back for Reunion 08, October 24-25.  You should attend.
VTL,
Larry

Anonymous said...

FROM MARTY HEFLIN, August 19, 2008:

"Larry,

I think that pic you have on the blog of the guy with the guitar  
behind his back is none other than Pete Lester, Class of '80.  Pete  
and I played in a group together Junior and Senior year - played  
Shipwreck one year - last seen on a subway platform in NYC about 1989.

VTL,

Marty

Martin Heflin
Managing Partner
M2H Group
615.460.9093"

TO MARTY:  Glad to know you and Pete Lester are musicians - send me Pete's e-mail and we'll electrocute him with the blog.
VTL,
Lorenzo

Anonymous said...

MORE FR$OM MARTY HEFLIN, August 19, 2008:

"Wish I could...he's one of the missing desperados!  Pete, Rob Richardson and a couple of Betas made up the group.  Richardson is an attorney in Albany, GA...I think.  Neither has shown up for reunion.

VTL,
Marty

Martin Heflin
Managing Partner
M2H Group
615.460.9093"

TO MARTY:  Hey, if you know of any Ticks, other than you and Yanker, get me their names and e-mails!  Thanks