Saturday, March 9, 2024

Beta Pi Blog, Vol. 2024, No.01 – Lurch Update!
















Beta Pi:

IS  BETA PI BLOG without any redeeming social or artistic merit?

YEA .   .   .   . or

 

NAY?

 Beta Pi Blog’s purpose: to bring ATO, Beta Pi Chapter Brothers and ATO Gal-Pals together. The blog is not to be taken seriously - it is meant for fun.

The Beta Pi Blog is non-political. It includes





pictures, links, 












Archives of previous issues, and other timewasters.

 





To get there, go to web address: http://beta-pi-blog.blogspot.com

 

*      *      *

LURCH UPDATE!









Some of you may not know MARK HEKTNER, Class of 77, in my book perhaps the GOAT!.  





Mark is a huge guy, he vaguely resembled “Lurch” the Adams Family character, so that is what we named him.






This past October, BILL PRICE texted me that Mark was taken into emergency surgery to undergo a 5 hour heart surgery, mitral valve.  You might remember getting a few emails in that regard.  Apparently there was leakage and his lungs were saturated with blood, BP was low, blood oxygen was low. 

Mark came through the surgery, but after the surgery they discovered Mark had also developed a problem in his foot, unfortunately they had to amputate a portion of Mark’s foot.

On October 25th I texted Bill to see if Mark had regained consciousness, to which Bill replied: 

        he is full of piss and vinegar!”

 As you can imagine, Mark had to have extensive physical therapy after his heart surgery, and for his foot.  It is hard for me to imagine how difficult it has been for him and his family. 

On January 25th I got word from Bill that “Mark is back home and teaching 35 kids in Sunday School.”

Bill, Mark is fortunate to have a friend like you! And Mark, it makes me so happy that you have recovered from your ordeal!!

 

*      *      * 

DAVE CHRISTOFFERSON, Class of 79!

Back in October, I got a message from that great guy from Class of 79, DAVE CHRISTOFFERSON.  Apparently Dave was hiking through Europe, here was the message:

       “That's me a couple months ago in Ireland”



I replied: Nice shot. . . looks sort of like you being released from a Medieval Prison?

Thanks for the picture Dave, hope to see you soon!

 

*      *      * 





RENA DABNE SARTAIN, Class of 74!


Rena emailed me. . .and when I read it, it all came flooding back . . .I remembered how Travis would bring Rena to the House . . .





and it blew our minds because 

Travis let her charm all of us, it was acceptable Southern flirtation, in a brotherly/sisterly way, of course! 

But….it was a doubly huge challenge to think of Rena as a sibling, and yet we managed it. Even more difficult because it was Travis himself who nicknamed her "The Steak."




I cannot speak for the rest of you, but as for myself, when I found myself in Rena’s presence, somehow she had a way of making the world seem more exciting.  

Rena caused excitement among us, no other way to put it. 





Speaking of how Rena made us feel, I have other proof of this phenomenon.  Rena had a medicinal effect on 

none-other-than  Marty!

This is Frank "Marty" Collins, upon learning Rena would be coming to the House!!

So here is Rena's email…




Larry.

Ola from Atlanta. Jeanne Urich and I are planning to come to the Nov reunion. Fifty years. Unbelievable!!  Do you wild and crazy guys have some cool stuff planned?? Let me know what’s in the works. We love hanging out with the ATOs!!!
Hope you are well and content. You are so spectacular keeping the “tribe” together!  I love that you include me.
Hope to see you in November.

Steak!






Great news that Rena and Jeanne are planning to attend!







Here is Rena and Jeanne.  There was an Elvis Sighting, Elvis got one look at these beautiful gals and broke into “Love Me Tender!”








 

*      *      * 




PHIBES PHILMS

Although the response to the first few episodes was under-whelming, buckle up because there are 9 more tasty batches from 

Abominable Doctor Phibes aka MATT HART.  







Here are three more installments of MATT HART’s “Phibes Philms”… with captions.  Enjoy.


VOL. 4 – Gal Pals

*Derby Day- This was the beginning of one of my Top Three hangovers. After watching the mud fights I went to the Sigma Chi house for my first and last game of Thumper. That was after drinking a bottle of Boone’s Farm in the morning. I had a date that night with Rose Frazier, a cute little hippie girl from Tenafly, New Jersey. I knew I had to get back to Hemingway Hall to get cleaned up but I passed out on the way in the Ivy on the side of Kirkland Hall. As fate would have it my new fraternity brother Doug Campbell Saw my feet sticking out from the brush and helped me back to my dorm. The lads there put me in the shower for alternating hot and cold blasts in an attempt to sober me up. No chance. But times were lean in those days for female visitors so they called Rose and said I was running late but could she come over and meet me there. The next thing I knew it was 6 am on Sunday morning. I woke up to a flashing construction zone sawhorse and the remains of at least 500 firecrackers that had been set off in my room during the night. I had a thirst that I remember to this day… beyond dry. So I walked across West End to the Grand Opening of Minnie Pearl’s restaurant. I believe I was the first customer. I had no shoes and was in my pajamas. I slowly approached the counter where the attendant said ‘May I hepp you?’ In a really thick Southern accent. I said ‘Juice-I need Juice’. She didn’t ask any questions, just got me the juice. I’m sure she thought I was a bum (homeless person now).That was the last Derby Day that I attended.



*Hanging out at Rand Hall  was always a fun pastime. Here is Debbie Payne with George Joe in the background. I saw Debbie at the last reunion and it was so great so see her.  She slipped in the rain on the dance floor and being a gentleman I helped her to her feet.  She filed a lawsuit against me for unpermitted touching.

*Here is Linda Rogers a cute Pi Phi that many of the Tics had a crush on. Rob Anderson had a particularly strong crush on her. She was from Long Island so one time during the summer we went to see Elvis Presley at the Nassau Coliseum… we were just Friends.



*Here is a shot of Linda and some other Pi Phi’s  out in the country. The ATO’s did pretty well with the Pi Phi’s. They must have been a little off to hang with us. The Tri Delt’s and Theta’s would always have some ‘splaining to do if they were dating a Tick’Lor.




 

VOL. 5 – Fire Up Vandy!


*I met Meryl Jansson in my Freshman French class, 2nd semester. She was from Iceland but her father was a Math Professor at VU so she lived in Nashville. I invited her to the Shipwreck Party so she drove to the dorm at 5:00 p.m. We had some drinks- she was a lovely gal. We made it to the ATO house at 1:00 a.m. It looked like Gettysburg and I had missed it. The next morning I vowed to do something at the following Shipwreck that would live forever in the annals of ATO history. I became history when Meryl dumped me that summer for Cary Chichester an ATO alum who was a guitar player for Just Friends. Around 20 years ago I had dinner with Meryl who apologized for dumping me. Oh well…






* Here is the Greek Man getting relaxed out in the Countryside.










*As the relaxation began Greek Man and The Heme decided to test the water… ‘Man this water is COLD’!








*Here is L.P. Hodnette III and Herb (Boy Wonder) Ladley in their off campus apartment. One of them had a giant water bed. I still quote Pierce’s Uncle, The Colonel, when asked if you’d like another drink…  ‘I never refuse’.




VOL. 6 – House Mother


*The yellow car just showed up one day, we found it parked beside the House. I think it belonged to one of the Oldies- maybe Burgess. Anyway, we had a Rule: No Drugs in the House.  If anyone got caught smoking in the house George Loo Joe, Ray G-Man or Mike McCarty would have your ass. But the yellow car was in-but-out so it had quite a lot of passengers. It was featured in a Yearbook photo for Homecoming/ Smoke ‘em Vandy.

 




*
Herb Ladley could play Wales Tales with the best of them, he was Prince whenever he played.  Who knew Herb was destined for a big career in medicine?

*One of the craziest days was when Heaven Lee announced she was going to take a stroll down Fraternity Row. Here is BIGGEE Rat getting ready to warm up the crowd.





*She actually showed up and I think was genuinely appreciative of the crowd support. In later years she became our unofficial House Mother.







*Here is the Greek Man trying to get some airtime during a radio interview with Heaven Lee. As this scene plays out it gets more interesting but I don’t want to upset The Greek. Last time I saw him at a reunion I got a face massage that hurt for a month. 




EDITORIAL NOTE:  a few edits were neccessary (less than expected) for legal reasons, to prevent defamation, and to protect the innocent.

Thanks to Matt for the great commentaries!

*      *      * 

KEEPING TABS:  

Here is a reminder of the brothers and sisters we have lost.

 

CLAUDE CARR CODY, IV, died February 8, 2022.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol. 2022, No. 01

Obituary:  

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/houstonchronicle/name/claude-cody-obituary?id=32988710

 

DAVID W. HAINES, JR., died January 17, 2021.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2021, No.01

 

ROBERT LOUIS CROSSLEY, JR., died October 24, 2019.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2021, No.03.

Obituary:   https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/knoxnews/name/robert-crossley-obituary?pid=194272149

 

ANTHONY GUY MIRANDA, died June 18, 2019

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2019, No.04. Archive: ___ 2019

Obituary:   http://www.brinsfieldfuneral.com/obituary/anthony-guy-miranda

 

MARK McGANN, died December 10, 2018.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2018, No.07. Archive: Dec. 2018

 

BECKY BRUNING MANYAK, died October 19, 2017.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2017, No.07. Archive: Sept. 2017

Obituary:   http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=rebecca-manyak&pid=187110606

 

ROB BLANKENHORN, died December 2016.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2017, No.05, (See Comment by Dick Stoner). Archive: Sept. 2017

 

EDWARD G. “TED” STEPHANY, died January 20, 2016.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2016, No.01, Archive: Jan. 2016

 

J. NEAL CRENSHAW, died November 12, 2014.
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2014, No.08, Archive: Nov. 2014
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2014, No.10, Archive: Dec. 2014

 

MILES WALSH, died in July 2013.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2013, No.05, Comments Section (over 50 comments), Archive: Aug.2013

 

DAVID HOWE, died November 30, 2006.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.68, Archive: Dec. 2006.
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2007, No.30, Archive: May. 2007

 

KURT WAGNER, died in July 2002.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2016, No.02, Archive: Jan. 2016

 

ALEXANDER WILSON, died April 9, 1977.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.25, Lowenstein Essay Contest. Archive: Aug. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.33, Honoring Alex and Laura. Archive: Sept. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.45, Tale-o-Pig-Roast. Archive: Sept. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.50, Winner Essay Contest. Archive: Oct. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2017, No.05, Alexander Wilson. Archive: Sept. 2017

Alex and Laura are buried at the Nashville National Cemetery. The cemetery is at 1420 Gallatin Pike South, Madison, TN 37115. Alex and Laura are at Section KK, Site 794.

 

*      *      *

THE ARCHIVES

To explore the “Archives” in this Blog – go to the top of the latest “blog issue,” on the right. You access it by clicking on the Month and Year, and it will drop down with choices. For example, if you click on December 2006, a list will drop down listing all issues that were published that month. Click on an issue, and you can then post a comment to that issue. It’s never too late to post a comment, right? 

*      *      *

HOW TO POST OR READ COMMENTS: Just click the button - Comments – below my signature block.

*      *      *

BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS:   As of March 8, 2024, there are 132 ATO’s on the blog email list, including 13 Brothers whose e-mail address is unknown, plus 19 ATO Gal-Pals. 

VTL,





Larry Simons

Beta Pi, 72

 


No comments: