Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2022, No.01 – CLAUDE CODY TRIBUTE




Beta Pi:

IS  BETA PI BLOG without any redeeming social or artistic merit?

YEA .   .   .   . or

NAY?

Beta Pi Blog’s purpose: to bring ATO, Beta Pi Chapter Brothers and ATO Gal-Pals together. The blog is not to be taken seriously - it is meant for fun.

The Beta Pi Blog is non-political. It includes


pictures, 

                         Sean Walsh sent this picture of Alex's Memorial Plaque

links, Archives of previous issues, and other timewasters.

To get there, go to web address: http://beta-pi-blog.blogspot.com 

*      *      * 


SO LONG TO OUR DEAR FRIEND, CLAUDE CARR CODY, IV

We received the sad news that on February 8, 2022, our brother Claude Cody passed on.

It is so difficult to write about, when a close friend and brother passes on.  Buck and I have often reminisced about Claude, when we first encountered him the year we were Pledges in 1972.  

This is a true story - I think of this so fondly - I would pass Claude, walking on the sidewalk toward the ATO House, and Claude (knowing I was a mere Pledge) would look at me with a look that said, “If you even twitch the wrong way I will pound you!” – without actually saying it.  Buck has confirmed to me he got the same look from Claude.  


At the time, we did not understand this was part of being a Pledge.  Later, of course, I learned it was just an act meant to let Pledges know their place.  When I was a Pledge, Claude definitely got my attention. 

Over the years I came to know Claude as a kind, compassionate man, a man with a big heart, a man of faith, a true brother in every way.  He cared about people, Claude had a way of letting you know he was interested in your life.  I know this because Claude took an interest in my poetry, asking me to sign a copy of my book for him.  I cannot tell you what a big honor this was for me.

Claude helped us in our efforts to keep the group alive with the Blog – he was very enthusiastic about the potential for the Blog keeping us together, he frequently sent me ideas, and he frequently came to Reunions.  It was Claude who had the idea to start an annual tradition to visit Alex & Laura’s graves.

Claude was truly an idea man, a thinker.  As you may also know, it was Claude who had the idea, way back in the day, to ask Alex to say the ATO Prayer at mealtime, a tradition which became bedrock for all of us.  So in Claude’s honor . . . 

      Lord of Mankind, Master divine,

      Keep us pure in heart and mind,

      And so that we may know Thee

      Thy presence show,

      Guard and guide us in ATO.

I am very sad about this, and I know you are too. I have always looked up to Claude.

Claude, we love you brother, may you rest in peace.  We will keep Ann and your family in our prayers.

Larry

 

     JOHN STEIN sent me this picture of a recent visit he had with Claude, on John’s 70th birthday.

 

                                          From Reunion 2013. Claude with George Joe and John Stein.

GEORGE JOE sent me this note, after attending Claude's Funeral.

It was truly a memorable experience this past weekend, to reconnect with people like Claude’s fellow ATO swimmers John Stein, Ken Linden and others who just loved Claude for who he was.  



A STORY FROM GEORGE JOE

Claude was the first person from the Lone Star state I ever knew, and he met my picture of the quintessential Texan….loud, proud, and a straight shooter in his opinions. He was also among the more physically imposing pledges in our class, so whenever his protective nature was called upon to be a buffer between some of us and the actives, it was reassuring that his ultimate loyalty was with the brothers in his pledge class. As many of you recall, Claude was quite the storyteller, many stories of which were a blend of fact and fiction but always laced with his distinctive laughter (once he discovered that I was from a Chinese restaurant family, he somehow convinced his kids that my great grandfather was the personal chef of former president Chiang Kai-Shek……..Claude also had a gift of embellishment!). 


Reading the responses from you guys made me wish I had spent more time with that rascal, party-loving Claude instead of so much time at the JUL trying to get into med school. However, since then, as our careers unfolded, I came to know that part of him that he so graciously and willingly shared. As a devoted, loving husband and father to Anne and his children, Carr, Braxton, Catherine, he was always took great pride in talking about their accomplishments and adoration for each other. Never a harsh word. The gentler, less dogmatic side of him was apparent on a recent trip here to Birmingham. He generously insisted on treating Betsy and me to dinner one night and asked to go to the best steakhouse in town. Well, being married to a cardiologist (Betsy Branscomb VU class of ‘74) and therefore not knowing ANYTHING about steakhouses, he happily agreed to treat us at a popular seafood restaurant instead. Knowing how much of a steak and potatoes person he was over the years and how special he thought that would be, (the aforementioned proud Texan), I knew what a huge sacrifice that was for Claude! Nonetheless, the evening was filled with more stories, his crescendo laughter, and his impish smiles. He even was open to learning about snapper throats that night.

The many memories we have of Claude are as varied as pieces of a puzzle, that when put together, create this beautiful picture we all have of him. We love and miss you bro. Rest in Peace. ILAMATOBs.

George Joe

                              Claude and Ann Cody at their son Carr's Wedding, July 2019
  

GEORGE JOE sent me this photo, with caption...apparently it was so hot that day, they joked it was like a "wet tee shirt" situation!

                    “Aqua Man Claude at his son Carr’s wedding reception in 2019”

 

                              From Reunion 2018, Claude with George Abernathy and John Stein

  FROM JOHN STEIN

. . .Indeed, it was a shock to get the call today. Claude was a roommate of mine, great soul, fellow swimmer and perhaps the first Texan, real Texan,  I knew.  Generous, bright, mischievous, inquisitive…. typical ATO. But also, such a great guy.  

I spoke with his brother-in-law, and his wife Ann today.   They both reminded me that he really liked to talk. I didn’t need that reminder.  

I saw Claude in December and had regular phone conversations for years.  He was terrific to keep in touch.   There is a lesson there.   We all need to do a better job of that. 

I miss him greatly.  And as Mike says so we’ll, let’s all raise one for Claude Carr Cody.  

Rest well my brother.  

I love all my ATO brothers,

Stein

 

                                             From Reunion 2008, Claude and me
 

FROM JOHN STEIN

Thank you, Larry, for these beautiful words.  Claude was one of a kind.   As roommates I got to know him very well.  A generous and caring soul indeed.   A giant loss to us all.  

Jfs

 


  

A STORY FROM JOHN STEIN

On one particular swimming road trip we were going from University of Georgia to Georgia Tech (beat them both by the way), and while traveling on the Georgia interstate in individual rental cars, we found ourselves traveling fairly late at night. Claude was in the backseat sound asleep. And the boy could sleep.

Apparently, we were exceeding the posted legal speed limit by a fair margin and were summarily pulled over by one of Georgia’s finest. A state trooper in full regalia.

As he was questioning the driver through the side window, Claude woke up and in that big brassy Texas voice boomed, “WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?? WHY HAVE WE STOPPED GOD-DAMN-IT ?!?!?”



By that point, the trooper — with his head and Smokey-the-Bear hat now fully inside the driver side window — announced, “Young man, YOU better calm down.”

Claude, now fully awake, simply replied “Yes Sir.” And he did, quickly.

This, my friends, remains as Claude’s all-time shortest soliloquy.

He’d give you the shirt off his back.  Always willing to help out in any manner. Loyal, loyal, loyal.

He and Anne have raised three fabulous kids.

Rest In Peace my friend and brother.

Stein

 

                                             From Reunion 2013.  John and Claude.



A STORY FROM BOB SMOOT

Indeed, this is sad news, a true humanoid has left the House.  My memories can be a little sketchy about my time at Vandy, but one that lives vividly was the task of our pledge class of taking the House from the actives to prove our desire and worthiness to be ATOs.  

We outnumbered the actives with a force of 52. I think I remember Claude, and maybe Cheeks, throwing Stephenson out the side door on to the walkway.  Claude was always upbeat and ready for action, plus a very good swimmer.  While we were getting ready for Ship Wreck, a small, and shallow pool was constructed in the front yard in-line with the phone/closet, and everyone was getting “primed” for the main event that evening. 

 And for some reason, I always thought it was Claude who decided to dive off the roof performing a perfect belly flop into said pool. Most of us were horrified but when he stood up, everyone wants absolutely crazy yelling and screaming that he was awesome.  He might be gone but his memory lives on in each of us.

 

From Reunion 2018 - from left, Frank Biller, Claude Cody, George Tomlinson, Rob Anderson, George Abernathy and me

                                           May, 2019. George, Claude and Buck

FROM FRANK BILLER

I am heartbroken to hear about Claude’s passing. Heme and I had a wonderful dinner a few years ago with Claude and his son who was graduating from Northwestern here in Chicago. Claude was a wonderful man, and I shall miss him. 

                                                    Photo by Clark Thomas
  

A STORY FROM FRANK BILLER

Smooty’s story about Claude jumping off the roof got me thinking about my favorite Claude stories. I will always remember Texan Claude in his buckskin coat with the sheepskin lining, cowboy hat and boots walking with his trusty dog Emil and the gorgeous and talented Barbra Glenn at his side. I also feel blessed that Heme and I got a chance to have dinner with Claude and his family a few years ago here in Chicago. 

But my major Claude Cody moment was a snowy night my freshman year when I got thrown into jail and my fate rested in the hands of one Drunken Claude Cody.

I had just pledged, and I was watching D.W. Wilson, Ken Mansfield and all of the class of 71-73 boys play Wales Tales.  I begged them to let me play and once I got in instantly became The Well. I was quickly blithering drunk so they thew me out of the game to let other pledges give it a try.

Brew supplies ran low, and a collection was taken for a beer run. For some unknown reason the boys decided to send my drunken-ass out into the snow to get beer.  I made my way to Rotier’s, staggered up to the bar, dropped the wad of money on the counter and told Mr. Rotier to “give me some beer.”  He filled up 3 big grocery bags with 6-packs and held the door open for me as I staggered back out into a blizzard.  I could not see where I was going and walked about 3 steps directly into a parking meter and fell flat on my back with the beer going all over the sidewalk.  As luck would have it, parked at the meter was a Nashville Metro Police car with 2 cops in the front seat.  I was soon in the back seat.

I asked the cops if they could drop me off at my dorm.  My heart sank as we sped by Mims Hall on the way to Night Court and the drunk tank.

Night Court and the drunk tank on Saturday night in 1972 Nashville was quite a scary place, as you could imagine.  I was sentenced to 2 days and got a dime to make my one phone call. I called the House, and the phone rang and rang.  I knew the boys were in the kitchen and might not hear it. At this point I am praying in earnest.  Then, suddenly someone picked up the phone and I heard “ATO House.”  It was drunken Claude Cody. I said “Claude, it’s me Buck. I am in jail!”  Claude is skeptical and says “Yeah, right” and starts asking me pledge questions. I must have got Otis A. Glazebrook right because I heard the phone drop on the floor and Claude shouting “Hey guys! Buck’s in jail!!!”  I can hear the ensuing chaos at the House, but no one is talking to me.  Now I am in full panic mode screaming “Claude, Claude, pick up the phone!”  Someone picked it up and hung it up.

That was it, no more dimes. They took me up to the drunk tank which was standing room only on Saturday night.  I knew I would be beaten senseless and repeatedly s*******d until they let me out on Monday morning.  I huddled in a corner and pretended to be asleep. A wretched s******e started rubbing my leg and I was ready for the worst.  Then, all of a sudden, a cop appears and shouts out “Frank Bilter (sic).” I leapt to my feet and was out of there in 2 seconds.

Claude had come through! The rescue team was led by the marginally sober Greek, Herb the Herb, Les Beard and the lovely Mercy Prieto waiting at the jailhouse door and laughing their butts off.  I was never happier then or since to see my ATO brothers.

So, to this day I have yet to be s*******d and all thanks to Drunken Claude sending the rescue team in Greeks Buick LeSabre.  Thanks Brother Claude. May you rest in Peace.

Frank J. Biller

              From Reunion 2018. Photo by Clark Thomas. from left, Clark Thomas, John Stein, Buck Biller, Vinny Starr, Larry & Ann Simons, Claude Cody.


FROM FRANK COLLINS

Thank you, Larry. God bless, Claude and his family.  

I always appreciate the decision I made when I said yes to joining ATO. (Thank you, Arms.)  Never more than times like this when I truly feel like a member of an extended family.   I knew Claude well enough for him to marginally acknowledge me when I walked into the house.  But I will never forget him and every other member of this exalted blog and will forever hold close the memories, the faces, and most of all, those laughs.  I'm trying here to do a better job of recognizing Claude and what he meant to us all.  But I also want to say it while we can still all hear it, I love my ATO Brothers.  


  




FROM CHRIS REGAS

Thank you, Larry, for your thoughtful eulogy and for keeping us informed….I have great memories of Claude and pray he will rest in peace….





  

                                 From Reunion 2013. Chris Regas, Vinny Boombatsie and Claude


                     

FROM MIKE McCARTY

Guys:

Life is fleeting, seems like yesterday I was teaching Claude how to wrestle for ATO.  He was the true definition of a loyal and committed brother to us all.  He will be greatly missed by me and everyone he touched.  Please raise a glass tonight to our beloved brother and may he and his family be in our hearts.

MIKE



      From Reunion 2008. Claude Cody with George "Heme" Tomlinson and George "Aber" Abernathy

FROM LANCE REISING

Thanks, Larry and George,

Good man. Had to be, Class of ’73.

Carpe diem, Bro’s.

Lance






TRAVIS BURCH also sent condolences, he recalled Claude as a Pledge.

If you didn't know . . . Lance and Travis are a few of the guys who unleashed "The ATO Last Supper."  Some incredible bravado and sense of humor for the times.




  


FROM MARTY HEFLIN

Larry,

I only met Claude briefly, but he was a tremendously kind person.  So sorry for our loss and particularly for those of you who knew him so well.

Eternal rest give unto him, 0 Lord; 

And let perpetual light shine upon him.

May he rest in peace.

VTL,

Marty


     From Reunion 2018.  from left, Claude Cody, Clark Thomas, John Stein, Buck Biller, Vinny Starr

                                        Vinny took this picture of Laura - it is a favorite picture of mine




FROM RICK ZISKA

Thank you, Larry. God bless Claude Cody, brother, swimmer.

SEAN WALSH sent this picture of DICK STONER and GREGG QUALLS next to THE PLAQUE
  

FROM DICK STONER

Larry,

I had not met Claude Cody before our 2018 reunion weekend which started with the visit to Laura and Alex's burial site. I think we all went in his car. I'm sorry to read this and it will make me call my Doc as I have not spoken to him about my latest blood test in December.     

Thanks for keeping us all in mind during these times.       We've just had the Covid-Omicron come through the house, so we've lost some time, but all are vaccinated, and all have survived it.

Hope you and Ann are well.     

Dick


 

These pictures are from Reunion 2018, the first time we all went to visit Alex and Laura's graves.  Claude was so happy we were able to turn his idea - of an annual tradition - into reality.  Thank you Claude, for everything you have done, the honor goes to you.






FROM TOM LOVINGGOOD

Larry--Claude and I lived together the first semester of our senior year in the ATO House.  For the spring semester, we moved to an off-campus apartment.  He was dating a girl named Barbara Glenn, who lived off campus, so he spent a lot of time with her.  We did some things together, but he spent most of his time with her.  I can't remember if you were still living in the house, or not--that was half a century ago.  I had sort of lost track of Claude until you started your Blog and he chimed in regularly.  We did converse some these past few years, and I thought that I would get to see him at one of your reunions, but that won't happen now.

Everyone knew Claude. Everyone liked Claude. He was a permanent fixture at the ATO House. Claude and I actually lived together for our entire senior year, so l got to know him well. We grew apart after graduation, going our separate ways. We did communicate via email the past few years. I regret not seeing him at one of our Reunions. Rest in Peace, Brother.

Tom Lovinggood

                                         From 2018.  Claude and Ann



FROM MARK REED

Thank you, Larry, for this very sad update.  Claude was a Texan through and through. As a pledge brother of Claude’s, back in the day of hazing, we all went through Hell Week, and it was truly Hell Week.  Claude was always upbeat and willing to participate in whatever was going on. A true “Brother.” 

My youngest son was living and working in Houston and Christmas of 2020, during COVID, I went to assist my son for recovery from shoulder surgery.  I connected with Claude, and we had a wonderful Sunday afternoon visit at my son’s apartment on his outside deck. We talked about seeing each other again the next time that Kimey and I came to Houston.  COVID stopped our travel and my son recently moved to Austin. 


I am grateful for having had that last visit with a wonderful man, a good friend at Vanderbilt and the connections we have had over the years.  Claude is with the Lord, praise God!

Larry, if you have Claude’s home address, I would like to send Ann a letter.

Best regards,

Mark 

I took this picture at Reunion 2013, and as you can tell, it is poor quality - but that is why it is cool, it did a number on their eyes, especially my friends George Joe and George Abernathy - the picture makes these guys look like that cheap horror flick "Children of the Corn!"  Somebody tell me that Aber and George do not look like zombies!!  And Stubby looks like he is literally weighted down by his gold watch

      From Reunion 2013. back row, John Stein, George Tomlinson, Mark Reed.  front row, Claude Cody, George Joe, George Abernathy, Mark Reed, Cory "Stubby" Clark


                                               From Reunion 2008.  Claude and George
  



FROM STEVE CUMMINGS

Larry -

I always appreciate your thoughtfulness by keeping the brothers in the know. I didn't know Claude, but it sounds like he was a great person. Take care and keep in touch.

Steve Cummings

                              From Reunion 2008.  Claude and Ann Cody, and son Carr
 



FROM MATT BLANKENSHIP

Larry,

I appreciate the news update. I remember Claude fondly. Great guy who will be missed.

Take care all my ATO Brothers.

Matt

                                             From Reunion 2013.  Claude and Ann Cody



FROM CHAD WEISS

The memories are great, I can almost hear Claude’s deep throated roaring laugh as he enjoys these remembrances. He would be the first to add a few more stories. A true Brother in every way. 

Keep the memories coming. 

Chad 

  


                                                           



FROM JACK MUENCH

When I think of Claude, I hear laughter—happy, unaffected laughter. 


                                  
  



FROM JACK NICHOLS

All great memories of Claude and may he Rest in Peace. A special thank you to Larry for putting the blog together and keeping us all up to date on the good, the bad and the ugly.

Nick


FROM HOWARD VOGEL

In the finest traditions of our fraternity, Claude was my little brother. He was a great one. He represented what I think Vandy wanted of all of us - honor, dedication, integrity, loyalty, a positive spirit and excellence. Thank you, Claude. I am glad that I knew you.

Howard

Here is a link to Claude’s Obituary: 

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/houstonchronicle/name/claude-cody-obituary?id=32988710

*      *      * 


A NEW TRADITION

As you know, in the “KEEPING TABS” section of this Blog – we keep a list of those brothers who have passed on – this was Claude Cody’s idea.  And, our annual visit to Alex’s and Laura’s grave was also Claude’s idea.  So, over the last few days I have felt inspired by Claude, with a new idea. When I spoke with George Joe this morning, I told him about this idea. 

Something like this. . .the next time we have a Reunion and go for our annual visit to Alex’s and Laura’s grave, after we honor Alex and Laura, there will be a Reading of the Names of Brothers Who Have Passed On, to honor their memory. If you have anything to add, or any comments, I hope you will call me to discuss.

 

*      *      * 

POETRY CORNER:



George Joe’s wife Betsy Branscomb Joe is a poet and has written a poem dedicated to Claude, which George read at Claude’s funeral. George tells me this poem is included in Betsy’s new book entitled “Light Up the Stars Collection.”  Betsy is a 1974 Vanderbilt A&S graduate, she was a biology major, and a Tri-Delt.  She did her Cardiology training at Massachusetts General teaching hospital, Harvard Medical School, and was a full-time member of the largest group of cardiologists in the state of Alabama before retiring a couple of years ago.  She is the granddaughter of former Chancellor Harvie Branscomb.



Thank you so much Betsy for sharing this beautiful poem with us.

 

WHEN I’M GONE

Remember me, the things I love.

Find me in the skies above.

Ponder what devotion means;

And then recall my childhood dreams.

 

Remember me, the things I’ve said;

When life is hard, seek good instead.

Take my heart, that near it seems,

And treasure still my childhood dreams.

 

Meet me in the evening hues;

Feel me when you have the blues.

Hear me in the flowing streams,

And always hold my childhood dreams.

 

Be born anew in jasmine’s scent;

Search for what small pleasures meant.

Know my warmth from dawn’s first beam,

And that you are my childhood dream.

 

Elizabeth Branscomb Joe, Copyright 2022

 

*      *      *     

 

KEEPING TABS: 

Here is a reminder of the brothers and sisters we have lost.

 

CLAUDE CARR CODY, IV, died February 8, 2022.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol. 2022, No. 01

Obituary:  

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/houstonchronicle/name/claude-cody-obituary?id=32988710

 

DAVID W. HAINES, JR., died January 17, 2021.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2021, No.01

 

ROBERT LOUIS CROSSLEY, JR., died October 24, 2019.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2021, No.03.

Obituary:   https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/knoxnews/name/robert-crossley-obituary?pid=194272149

 

ANTHONY GUY MIRANDA, died June 18, 2019

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2019, No.04. Archive: ___ 2019

Obituary:   http://www.brinsfieldfuneral.com/obituary/anthony-guy-miranda

 

MARK McGANN, died December 10, 2018.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2018, No.07. Archive: Dec. 2018

 

BECKY BRUNING MANYAK, died October 19, 2017.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2017, No.07. Archive: Sept. 2017

Obituary:   http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=rebecca-manyak&pid=187110606

 

ROB BLANKENHORN, died December 2016.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2017, No.05, (See Comment by Dick Stoner). Archive: Sept. 2017

EDWARD G. “TED” STEPHANY, died January 20, 2016.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2016, No.01, Archive: Jan. 2016


J. NEAL CRENSHAW, died November 12, 2014.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2014, No.08, Archive: Nov. 2014
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2014, No.10, Archive: Dec. 2014

 

MILES WALSH, died in July 2013.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2013, No.05, Comments Section (over 50 comments), Archive: Aug.2013

 

DAVID HOWE, died November 30, 2006.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.68, Archive: Dec. 2006.
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2007, No.30, Archive: May. 2007

KURT WAGNER, died in July 2002.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2016, No.02, Archive: Jan. 2016


ALEXANDER WILSON, died April 9, 1977.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.25, Lowenstein Essay Contest. Archive: Aug. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.33, Honoring Alex and Laura. Archive: Sept. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.45, Tale-o-Pig-Roast. Archive: Sept. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.50, Winner Essay Contest. Archive: Oct. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2017, No.05, Alexander Wilson. Archive: Sept. 2017

Alex and Laura are buried at the Nashville National Cemetery. The cemetery is at 1420 Gallatin Pike South, Madison, TN 37115. Alex and Laura are at Section KK, Site 794. 

*      *      *

THE ARCHIVES

To explore the “Archives” in this Blog – go to the top of the latest “blog issue,” on the right. You access it by clicking on the Month and Year, and it will drop down with choices. For example, if you click on December 2006, a list will drop down listing all issues that were published that month. Click on an issue, and you can then post a comment to that issue. It’s never too late to post a comment, right? 

*      *      *

HOW TO POST OR READ COMMENTS: Just click the button - Comments – below my signature block.

*      *      *

BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS:   As of March 1, 2022, there are 132 ATO’s on the blog email list, including 13 Brothers whose e-mail address is unknown, plus 19 ATO Gal-Pals.

VTL,





Larry Simons

Beta Pi, 72

 

No comments: