Friday, October 26, 2018

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2018, No.06 – Reunion Recap

Beta Pi:

IS  BETA PI BLOG without any redeeming social or artistic merit?:  










YEA .   .   .   . or

 
Beta Pi Blog’s purpose: to bring ATO, Beta Pi Chapter Brothers and ATO Gal-Pals together.  The blog is not to be taken seriously - it is meant for fun. 

The Beta Pi Blog is non-political.  It includes

pictures, links,

Photo by Clark Thomas

Archives of previous issues, and other time-wasters.

To get there, go to web address: http://beta-pi-blog.blogspot.com

*      *      *    

STOOGE DINNER AT JIMMY’S

 
 It has become something of a tradition, we had dinner at Jimmy Kelly's with VINNY STARR.   It was quite an ordeal, watching the Bartender stare at him...while Vinny ordered his favorite (James Bond Era) drink...
     “I'll have a dry martini…in a deep champaign goblet…three measures of Gordon’s, one of vodka,  half a measure of Kina Lillet.  Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel.  Got it?”

 
Also present (who simply ordered his drink in single syllables) was FRANK J. BILLER, and my lovely wife ANN POLK SIMONS, and just when ...

 
...we had ordered dessert...who shows up but GEORGE "THE HEME" TOMLINSON!

 
...and Vinny hadn't finished his dinner, so HEME just had to help him!

 
...one of THE All-Time-Greats...THE HEME!
 
 
*     *     *

VISIT TO ALEX & LAURA WILSON’S GRAVE

So we met as planned, piled into Claude Cody’s Van and headed up to visit to Alex & Laura Wilson’s grave.  George Joe was there when we arrived!  It was a gorgeous autumn day.  All of the beautiful headstones in Nashville National Cemetery...

 
We each said a few words, and George Joe suggested we post them on the Blog.  Here are a few of the remarks:

 









GEORGE JOE:  ".....Alex and Laura were father and mother figures to all of us, loving unconditionally, and not afraid to give wise advise when we needed it the most."



CLAUDE CODY: …”My favorite remembrance of Alex Wilson was the time he brought some civility to the ATO house. In the early 70’s when it was mealtime, especially for dinner, Alex would announce that the food was on the tables. As soon as the announcement was made, there was a stampede for the dining area and the ATO’s would proceed to start stuffing food in their mouths. At least everyone waited till Alex made the announcement. Since I doubted anyone acted this way outside the ATO house, I figured we should try to change the behavior. I sat down with Alex and asked him if he had any ideas of how to accomplish this. He suggested a prayer at every meal. Some other ATO’s in attendance (officers) scoffed at the idea. Why would anyone sit still for a prayer? If Alex gave the prayer, everyone would listen. At the next dinner, Alex announced that the food was ready and the usual stampede occurred. After a few moments, Alex came out of the kitchen and asked everyone to bow their heads. There was a stunned silence. Everyone stopped eating and bowed their heads. Alex gave the ATO prayer. About a week later, Alex started asking others to give the prayer. From that time on, no one started eating until the prayer was said.”



 

DICK STONER:  In April 1977 when Alex passed away on Shipwreck/ATO Formal weekend, the house was literally in turmoil.  The officers helped Laura in many ways  (Vin Starr went to the hospital) but Alex had passed and we needed to move on the next steps.  Laura asked me if "one of your officers could speak at the funeral, next week?"  I replied " of course!"  At a quick meeting of officers,  I was quickly nominated, as I was Worthy Master.....so I began to write notes and think about what I would say.
At the church,  I nervously held out my loose leaf paper, shaking such that I could barely read it, but I started out saying.....
"Alex Wilson was not the cook at the ATO Fraternity House,  he was our brother."  ..... a voice in the audience yelled out  "Tell it Brother!"
I continued… "Alex was initiated by our brothers in 1973 and he was truly a member of this organization" ... another voice said "Amen, brother!"
           My confidence was rising... as a different member of the North Nashville Congregation supported and encouraged me to continue with each line that I delivered. I spoke louder and with more confidence until I think I may have sounded a little bit like a southern preacher, in this delivery...
I felt energized by the positive energy in the room, and I spoke about how important Alex had become to all the young men who were members and shared food and fellowship during their college years at Vanderbilt.  I remember being truly uplifted by the experience, and Laura thanked me, as you can imagine she would have.
            It was a huge and very moving moment in my Vanderbilt experience.   As a white guy from a mostly white area of suburban Washington, DC, I was honored to have delivered an eulogy at a black man's funeral in North Nashville.  To this day, I feel honored to have done this and I will always remember how we all made the best of the passing of Alexander Wilson in April 1977."


STEVEN STARR:   "…..When I first came to Vanderbilt and the ATO House, I had never liked broccoli.  Then, when I started having dinner at the house, of course one of Alex and Laura’s best meals was roast beef, potatoes and broccoli with hollandaise sauce.  Well, at some point I tried the broccoli with hollandaise sauce and it became an instant favorite of mine.  Couldn’t get enough.  Then sometime around my senior year I asked Laura if she would teach me how to make the hollandaise sauce.  Of course, she was delighted to show me.  There was no recipe, Laura just told me to watch her make a batch, using mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and salt.  Well, I went home for Christmas or spring break and made the hollandaise sauce for my parents and they thought it was great.  Anyway, 40 some years later I am still making Laura’s hollandaise sauce almost every week, using it for broccoli, asparagus and even as a seafood sauce.  It always brings back good memories of Alex and Laura and the wonderful meals they enjoyed preparing for us!"

 



LAWRENCE SIMONS:   "…..I was living at the House and I was the House Manager. My job was to take care of the House, maintenance, replace broken ceiling tiles, and to clean up after parties. 
Well, we had a party, and I got really drunk, and next morning I slept through my morning Class.  When I stumbled out into the living room, I saw Alex was cleaning up the House, and immediately I got this awful feeling of guilt, because there was Alex doing my job, I felt awful.  So, I walked up to him and said “Alex, that is my job, you shouldn’t be doing that, I’ll do it.”  And Alex looked at me, and smiled, and said “Mr. Larry, it’s alright, I’m glad to help out.”  And I learned that day what it feels like when a brother has your back, Alex had my back."



FRANK BILLER:  “…On a warm Spring afternoon in late April of my senior year I was lounging in the kitchen of the ATO house enjoying a Marlboro and having a casual conversation with Laura Wilson.  Laura took a drag on one of those really long cigarettes she and Alexander used to smoke and asked me in a suddenly serious tone “Mr. Buck, what are you going to do when you graduate from college?”.  I had spent a great deal of time working out several solid plans and I was both challenged and eager to share “Plan A” with my surrogate Mother.  Laura, said I, My plan is to move to the Atlantic side of Florida.  There I will seek daytime employment as a construction worker.  Construction workers make good pay and I will keep in shape and have a great tan.  In addition, I will get a job at night as a bartender.  I love bars and I will meet many beautiful women.  With all the money I make from 2 jobs I will buy a really nice trailer on the intercostal waterway and buy a “state of the art” waterskiing boat.  I will waterski to my heart’s content and entertain the young ladies I meet in my bartending on the boat and in my trailer.
 Laura always held her cards very close to her vest but it was evident immediately that she was going to sound in on this.  She looked at me after a pregnant pause and remarked, “Mr. Buck, you may want to talk to your Momma and Daddy about that.  I am not sure they want you to become a construction worker.  I am worried about you too.  If you become a bartender, I fear that you may become your own best customer!

 




 Alex's gravestone, and as is custom in National Cemetery, his wife Laura's on the back.
 
 L-R, Larry Simons, Frank Biller, George Joe, Dick Stoner, Claude Cody, John Stein. 
 
The lovely Beth Stein was kind to take our group shot, thanks Beth!
 
THANKS to all who attended for your meaningful words.  And...

SPECIAL THANKS to Claude Cody.  Claude, some folks may not know it, our gathering here at Alex and Laura's graves - for the second year in a row - was originally your idea.  And, I did not know - until you said it graveside - that our ATO tradition of saying the ATO at mealtime was started by you and it was your suggestion that Alex say the prayer.  Personally, I cannot thank you enough for that. I want to thank you, very sincerely, because to me, the ATO prayer, and my memories of Alex, and the dignity he imparted to us as individuals and as a group is the single most meaningful thing we have in ATO, apart from our dear friendships.  Claude, to you my dear friend, and to Alex.










Lord of Mankind,
Master Divine,
Keep us pure in heart and mind,
And so that we may know Thee,
Thy presence show,
Guard and guide us, in ATO.
 
*     *     *







 

CLASS OF 1973 CLASS PARTY

The Stooges did not attend this shindig, but Claude Cody provided some great pictures.  Having been to a few of these "Class Parties"...they are great, super laid back, food always good..."take your shoes off, set a spell"...just kidding, not that laid back.

 Claude and Aber

 Claude Cody, George Abernathy, John Stein


*     *     *
 
ALL CLASS “BIG TENT” PARTY

Well, when we got there, and realized there was a “DJ” instead of a Live Band…well, let’s just say I am a fan of Live Music. But I didn't come to dance...I came to be in the presence of THE GREATS!

 The Heme and the beautiful Lisa. 

The incomparable Lisa, the gorgeous Kimberly Abernathy, and The Heme


 The Heme and Bozino

Vinny ran into an exotic woman he had dated back in the day, he used to call her "Buttercup" - I think she said to him..."Steven, shouldn't we take that drink away from you...and get you a coffee?"

 Buck Biller..."What is happening here, where am I, and why is Aber behind me?"


So here is me...between two of the ALL-TIME-GREATS...ABER and BUCK
 

 And who shows up but the MIGHTY GREGG QUALLS, Class of 1978!

As it turned out, the DJ was supercharged, playing a set of electronic drums to the songs he played.  It was danceable...dude had a groove going...so we danced!

You know how...sometimes something can seem so LAME that it becomes FUN?  Well, that is what the Vanderbilt Alumni people dreamed up for this party, a really lame Photo Booth, with a green screen, and they take your picture and make it look like you are standing in front of something...well, people LOVED it, it was very popular, and people were lining up to get their picture made, so what the hell?  As it turns out, the background they superimposed was "Nashville News Channel 9 Skyline" ...so what could be more fun?   And here we are.... your "News Channel 9 Team"...


 
*     *     *
TAILGATE

This is always a joyous event, because of the friends, and the food is always good. And it is 9:00 a.m., and... none of us are awake yet.


 Claude and lovely Anne Cody
 Larry and beautiful Ann Simons, and Buck Biller

 George Tomlinson and lovely Lisa


 Rob and lovely Sharon Anderson

 Rob and Claude

 Frank Biller, Claude Cody, George Tomlinson, Rob Anderson, Aber, Larry Simons

 
*     *     *


VANDY vs FLORIDA

 Claude Cody, ready for some fried Gator

 Claude Cody, John and lovely Beth Stein

Larry Simons, Steven Starr and Frank Biller..."The Three Stooges"
 
The Dores played really, really well!  And we were ahead the first three Quarters...at the end of each Quarter, Buck said, "Well, we won that Quarter."  And then the Gators woke up....It was a great Game. 


*     *     *

12th ANNUAL ATO DINNER & COCKTAIL PARTY

Claude Cody, Clark Thomas, John Stein, Frank Biller, Steven Starr

 Larry and Ann Polk Simons ... A very special THANKS to Ann for helping with the Dinner arrangements!

Claude and Clark


Buck: "...so Boss, I mean, look at my head...come clean here, I'm desperate...you've got to tell me what kind of potion or supplement you take to get that full, thick, healthy head of hair, is it Rhinocerous Horn, Essence of Salamander, or Snake Oil?"


Buck:  "Gentlemen....I have decided to call HAIR CLUB FOR MEN!!"


And a fine time was had by all.
 

*     *     *

PRAYERS FOR MARK McGANN:

On October 17th, I got an email from Tison Keel, with this news about our dear friend  MARK "MARLON" McGANN:

"Mark McGann, affectionately known as "Marlon" to his Tic brothers, underwent brain surgery on the 16th in Fort Pierce, Florida to remove a tumor, his second such episode fifteen years after the first.  This was a surprise and an unpleasant one at that, because Marlon recovered fully from the first bout, and was declared cancer free ten years ago, beating the odds, so we pray for a repeat outcome now.  I spoke with his sister, Wendy, today, and she said Mark is upbeat and unquestionably elected to undergo the surgery and subsequent radiation therapy, even though he knows all too well the discomfort and difficulties involved.  We know Mark is willful and stubborn; that was a good thing the first go-round, so should hold him in good stead now.  The surgery was successful, and according to Wendy, Mark is resting comfortably, though still sedated, with hopes to be out of the ICU and into PT by early next week.  The prognosis will not be known until after the radiation treatments, to which he responded quite positively last time.  Wendy suggested, and I agree that it would boost his spirits if his ATO brothers could send cards and letters to his home address, so he will have a friendly welcome when he gets back home.  Please do NOT call Mark's cell phone, because that is being held by Wendy until he is able to take calls.

Let's step up brothers!

Please send your well-wishes to Mark at:
1970 Coco Plum
Vero Beach, FL  32963"

Mark, we love you and are praying for you.
*     *     *

KEEPING TABS: 

Here is a reminder of the Brothers and Sisters we have lost.

BECKY BRUNING MANYAK, died October 19, 2017.
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2017, No.07. Archive: Sept. 2017
Obituary:

ROB BLANKENHORN, died December, 2016.
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2017, No.05, (See Comment by Dick Stoner). Archive: Sept. 2017

EDWARD G. “TED” STEPHANY, died January 20, 2016.

Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2016, No.01, Archive: Jan. 2016

J. NEAL CRENSHAW, died November 12, 2014.
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2014, No.08, Archive: Nov. 2014
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2014, No.10, Archive: Dec. 2014

MILES WALSH, died in July, 2013.
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2013, No.05, Comments Section (over 50 comments), Archive: Aug.2013

DAVID HOWE, died November 30, 2006.
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.68, Archive: Dec. 2006.   
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2007, No.30, Archive: May. 2007


KURT WAGNER,  died in July, 2002.
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2016, No.02, Archive: Jan. 2016

ALEXANDER WILSON, died April 9, 1977.
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.25, Lowenstein Essay Contest. Archive: Aug. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.33, Honoring Alex and Laura. Archive: Sept. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.45, Tale-o-Pig-Roast. Archive: Sept. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2006, No.50, Winner Essay Contest.  Archive: Oct. 2006
Beta Pi Blog, Vol.2017, No.05, Alexander Wilson. Archive: Sept. 2017

Alex and Laura are buried at the Nashville National Cemetery. The cemetery at 1420 Gallatin Pike South, Madison, TN 37115.  Alex and Laura are at Section KK,  Site 794. 

*      *      *

THE ARCHIVES

To explore the “Archives” in this Blog – go to the top of the latest “blog issue”, on the right.  You access it by clicking on the Month and Year, and it will drop down with choices.  For example, if you click on December, 2006, a list will drop down listing all issues that were published that month.  Click on an issue, and you can then post a comment to that issue.  It’s never too late to post a comment, right? 

*      *      *

HERE'S HOW to “JOIN THIS SITE”: All you need to do is JOIN "GOOGLE +" -- click ACCEPT to invitations or click on "JOIN" GOOGLE + FOLLOWERS.

*      *      *
HOW TO POST, OR  READ COMMENTS: Just click the button - Comments – below my signature block.

*      *      *

BETA PI BLOG ROSTER STATS:   As of October 26, 2018, there are 37 Blog Website Members; there are 131 ATO’s on the blog list, plus 21 ATO Gal-Pals.  And, there are 12 Brothers whose e-mail address is unknown. 

VTL,









Larry Simons
Beta Pi, 72

No comments: